This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things not to say to a judge.

edited March 2007 in Everything Else
I spent a few hours observing in the Magistrate's Court today for an assignment and I picked up a couple of handy hints:
  • When you have missed your appearance for sentencing, and the judge remands you overnight to see the judge handling your case don't call her a 'fat fucking bitch'
  • When you have decided to represent your self for driving an unregistered car make sure you speak good English, and when you are claiming ignorance of said offence try not to have a history of driving an unregistered vehicle.
  • When you are out on bail and one of your conditions is not to leave the house between the hours of 6pm and 7am, and your mates call you and ask for directions. Give them directions over the phone, don't go out and get caught by the police.

Comments

• I would definitely would not say "Do you have any weeeeeeeeeed?", unless I know he has some, the is all cool .
  • Aussie court. That's gotta be cool.

Here, for arraignment, anyone who has done anything significant is cuffed for the hearing. Often, the prisoner will appear by video from jail. When I used to go to court, I would hate to have to sit through arraignments.
  • Back home, when you had an arraignment and your guy was in custody, you had to go into the jail where they had a jail arraignment court. It was a pain, and if you convinced the judge to release your guy, he had to be processed out, which could take a couple of hours.

A few years further back, the sheriff's deputies would transport the defendants to court and if you got them released, they were released on the spot. That made clients and their families much happier.

Misdemeanor court was very fun. I'd highly recommend for anyone that had some spare time to hang out for a while in misdemeanor court to see the insanity.
  • If you are coming from the holding cells you are handcuffed and the little gate between the dock and the rest of the court is closed (cause that's going to stop people), but if you come into court through the front door you aren't handcuffed and the little door isn't shut.