This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070306 - Phoenix Wright

RymRym
edited March 2007 in Video Games
Tonight on GeekNights, we finally review Phoenix Wright. In the news, Super Ghouls & Ghosts and CounterStrike Ads.

Scott's Thing - Dig Dug Advertisment
Rym's Thing - Super Dodgeball Primer

Comments

• I've never played Super Dodge Ball, but it looks like something we desperately need on the VC ^_^
  • How spoiler-y is the bit on Phoenix Wright? I still haven't played it (comes out in Oz tomorrow. :| Not that it matters seeing as I'll be importing it 'cause that CHEAPER WTF).
  • edited March 2007
    It's coming out in Aus?! I just bought it on eBay yesterday :P

edit: Heh... Oh well
    http://games.nintendo.com.au/title.php?id=985
    Post edited by deaf-mute on
  • Rym and Scott would kick my ass in Air Hockey. :)
  • You guys forgot about counter strike:condition zero which was released in between cs 1.6 and source :D
  • You guys forgot about counter strike:condition zero which was released in between cs 1.6 and source :D
    We didn't forget about it. We just know enough about it that it isn't worth mentioning.
  • How spoiler-y is the bit on Phoenix Wright?
    We never spoil anything unless we're very clearly doing a "final thoughts" show. ^_^
  • Maaaan, I love me some Gay Lawyer Game.

... there's not much else that I can say about the subject.
  • lol

Phoenix Wright is the awesome. I have to agree that you really do tend to know what really happened in the cases, but you don't know exactly how or why things happened that way. I feel like that's what makes it interesting, it's unraveling everything to finally understand the full picture.
  • edited March 2007
    Here is a free demo of a game for which some states actually allow Continuing Legal Education credits. The player has to analyze whether questions and statements comply with the Federal Rules of Evidence and their state rules and make objections accordingly.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Back in the 70s, I was teh awesome at air hockey. I played again recently and, while rusty, I toasted my 35 year old younger brother. I suspect that with a little practice, I could give Messers Rym & Scott a bit of a run for their money. Ha ha!
  • I wish I would have kept my DS now just to play the second game. I loved the first game. As for air hockey you guys are right. Air hockey is not a game of chance. Slots, roulette, and video poker are games of chance. But air hockey takes a great amount of skill to be any good at.
  • I knew as I was editing that thing that you guys were going to latch onto that Air Hockey statement, remembering that big thing you had in one of your shows about it.

I'll excuse it with this: we're often prone to hyperbole, didn't mean anything by it. I'm sure you guys would whip MY ass and let's be honest: most people don't play air hockey for skill. Aside from the game I mentioned on the podcast, I couldn't tell you the last one I played. Anyway, I can't speak for Joel, but I'm preternaturally bad at any competitive game so you wouldn't NEED skill for that. I wouldn't win even if it just -was- luck.

Hope it didn't funk your day up TOO much, Rym. :)
  • RymRym
    edited March 2007
    Damn it! And here I was hoping for some epic rivalry culminating in a dramatic final battle at the International Air Hockey Championship, complete with romantic sub-plots and valuable life-lessons...

The cash prize, however, still stands. ^_~
    Post edited by Rym on
  • complete with romantic sub-plots
    Wait...I hope you don't mean homo-erotic sub-plots
  • Is there any other kind?
  • Damn it! And here I was hoping for some epic rivalry culminating in a dramatic final battle at the International Air Hockey Championship, complete with romantic sub-plots and valuable life-lessons...

The cash prize, however, still stands. ^_~
    I'll still play Air Hockey next time we see you guys, but I think it's a safe bet that you can leave your check book behind.

If it makes you feel better about missing the shonen drama of it all, I'll pump my fist in the air and describe how it takes GUTS! (and possibly SPIRIT!) in order be a truly good air hockey player, and I will describe at least one move as my 'special technique' or 'natural talent'. Midseason nemises like the dreaded Richochet BOMBA (the man with the amazing ability to change the flow of air on the table) will be brought into play. Also, I will at some point develop a crush on a girl I grew up with, who has been acting as my foster sister in lieu of my parents who, oddly enough, have never appeared on screen. I will lose the final match, but in the end Joel and I will learn team spirit and sportsmanship is more important than winning. It will be a life affirming exercise.

Also, there will be cake.
  • edited March 2007
    You should write a Air hockey manga, it would be a hit across Japan, become an anime and change all their conceptions of American life. It would then be brought over to America and cost millions of dollars in licensing fees, but end up bombing, selling to the few and far between. It would however be a hit in countries like mexico, most of europe, and the South American continent.

edit- the French wouldn't buy it because it was by an American author
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • edited March 2007
    Rym gets drunk and look what happens.

NSFW
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Since Scott (to my knowledge) has never gotten drunk, I'd venture to say that that is what happens when he gets drunk (like 20 years down the road). The closer of the two being Scott.
  • Is there any other kind?
    Not in a sports anime these days. Just look at Prince of Tennis.
  • Ah, Phoenix Wright. Case 5 (Rise From the Ashes) totally melted my brain. Don't ya hate it when you find a contradiction too early and present evidence only to get shot down? >_<

I wonder if ya ever get someone who's not semi-annoying to follow you around. Screw Maya, get Edgeworth over here! XD
  • I think that's the most Phoenix Wright a trailer can be. Love the vaguely HnK feeling at the beginning.
  • edited October 2013
    Gotta love that soundtrack!!!!

I do prefer reading the dialogue (+ soundfx, adlibs, music), instead of the voice overs and lipsyncing.

Do wish there was more investigation and better interrogation paths.
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on