This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The ads have finally taken TV and Hollywood

edited March 2007 in Everything Else
It saddens me to tell you that television died on the first of March.
ABC is developing a show based on the Geiko commercials.

Yes, folks, you read that right. You know those adds that say Geiko is "so easy a caveman can do it"? (I realize that many of you do not watch TV, and now you guys keep getting better ammunition. To make a Metal Slug reference, I'd say this counts as an "H" for you) Yeah, they're making a TV show about them. While I do enjoy those adds (but wish they'd do more with the Gecko or more fake TV shows), there are some things you just don't do to TV. This is one of them.

Now I am going to quote Peter Griffin (as he appeared in South Park), who once said "You think THAT'S bad..." because, dear friends, it gets worse.

You remember that Burger King fellow? The guy who managed to be simultaneously kick-awesome cool and undeniably creepy? The one with the wide plastic grin who always seemed eerily out of place whenever he was doing his shenanigans (which included standing outside a guy's window at 9 something in the morning to hand him his Burger King breakfast? Oh no, don't worry, they're not going to have him be a special guest star on "Caveman". That would be too out-there and bizarre. What are they doing with the Burger King?

He gets his own movie.

Apparently it's supposed to be some sort of "Origin story". It falls to me to be Zarathustra, it would seem. "Television is dead! And advertising killed it!"

Comments

• edited March 2007
    I think that, instead of dying, it's evolving into what sponsors want - advertising indistinguishable from content. Even better - advertising as content. People have been saying this since GI Joe and it's ilk, but it looks like we're sliding faster down the slippery slope now.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • If you ever get a chance read some of the writings of Mark Evanier.

He worked with Sergio Argones on the Groo comic book and he worked on the old D&D cartoon.

He has written some very interesting pieces on his days working in animation. One funny story dealt wit ha guy who called him to work on a project. Mark got back to him and explained that the cartoon had far too many "main characters" for the age group is what geared towards. The guy wrote back and said it had to have that many characters as the toys were already in production!