This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rym's pronunciation of "linear."

Alright, dammit, this has been bugging me for some ungodly length of time, and I have to wonder whether I'm the only person who hears it or not.

The way I hear it, Rym pronounces the world "linear" as two syllables: lin-eer.

I've always pronounced it as 3 syllables: lin-ee-er.

The second way is the accepted standard English way; Rym's way, I imagine, is some Michigan bastardization. I say Michigan, because that's Rym's generic excuse for why he does anything in some strange, non-standard way. "That's the way it was in Michigan." For fuck's sake, you've lived in New York for like 6 or 7 years now. Leave the Michigan behind, man.

OK, I got off on a bit of a tangent there, but that's it. What do other people think? Am I nuts, or is Rym's pronunciation of "linear" off to other people?

Comments

• I haven't noticed it, but it most certainlty is pronounced LIN-ee-er. I suppose Rym's off to go buy some pop (Michigan uber-bastardization of soda) too, eh?
  • YEAH! I noticed that too. I had to play it back the first time I heard to to make sure of my sanity. I am an asshole when it comes to pronouncing shit so yeah.

Also, for the longest time I could SWEAR Rym was saying "Concert-con" and not "Katsucon".
  • edited March 2006
    Rym doesn't pronounce it that way because of some Michigan. He pronounces it that way because he thinks that's a better pronunciation. Definitely some sort of a pretentious thing. Also, it's a completely incorrect pronunciation. LIN-eee-errr is the correct pronunciation.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • In retalliation, I propose we pronounce 'Rym' as 'Rhyme'. Ha HA!
  • It's much more fun to pronounce Rym as Brandon.
  • "Rym doesn't pronounce it that way because of some Michigan"

Actually, I don't know why I pronounce it that way. Just always have.

"He pronounces it that way because he thinks that's a better pronunciation. Definitely some sort of a pretentious thing."

Better? Pretentious? Ha!

"Also, it's a completely incorrect pronunciation. LIN-eee-errr is the correct pronunciation."

Someone who can't correctly say the words "solder" or "titan" really can't say anything here ;^) To follow your logic, you must be pretentious for saying them differently =P

Honestly, though, I don't know where I picked that one up. Maybe it is from Michigan or something, like the way I pronounce "pajamas" or "crayons." I really couldn't say unless I went back home and asked people to say the word.
  • I mispronounce solder and titan for fun. I know the correct pronunciations and I am fully capable of saying them properly. You however...
  • I submit that there was a long span back at RIT where you not only mispronounced them but insisted that you were correct ^_~
  • Innocent until proven guilty. Eye witnesses don't mean shit.
  • The eyewitnesses find you guilty in the court of public opinion, regardless.
  • A jury comprised of your peers has reviewed the evidence in question, and has come to the conclusion that you, Scott, are, in fact, a poofter.

Commas, or the process of commification, are fun.
  • edited March 2006

NO POOFTERS!
    Post edited by thaneofcawdor on
  • edited March 2006
    Pray tell what a "poofter" is?

Despite not knowing the meaning, I burst out laughing when I read Pete's post. I think that counts as one of the silliest-sounding words ever.

(edit: spelling.)
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • Poof is a 70s term for a gay or effeminate man in Britain. It seems to have the equivalent meaning of "flamer," and was used often to great humourous effect in Monty Python.

The more you know ^_^
  • "I haven't noticed it, but it most certainlty is pronounced LIN-ee-er. I suppose Rym's off to go buy some pop (Michigan uber-bastardization of soda) too, eh?"
    Damn Michiganders. I've been here for 9 years, and I'm still struggling to keep my language the same. Some people pronounce it as lin-air here, but I've never heard any lin-eers.