This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070322 - H.P. Lovecraft and Call of Cthulhu

2»

Comments

• I know, but I'm saying that it will be super creepy when I find a Necronomicon in a place that was directly used for a story by H.P. Lovecraft.
    Depends on the Necronomicon. A copy of Simon's in Borders won't be scary. A dusty leather-bound tome in back of an antique shop is another story!
    I still think it's both awesome and frightening to know that I have an unusual connection with H.P. Lovecraft due to relatives living on soil that Lovecraft visited and used as a model for a popular story of his.
  • edited September 2008
    I still think it's both awesome and frightening to know that I have an unusual connection with H.P. Lovecraft due to relatives living on soil that Lovecraft visited and used as a model for a popular story of his.
    Awesome maybe, but frightening? More than 13,473 other people have the same connection.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I still think it's both awesome and frightening to know that I have an unusual connection with H.P. Lovecraft due to relatives living on soil that Lovecraft visited and used as a model for a popular story of his.
    Awesome maybe, but frightening?More than 13,473 other peoplehave the same connection.
    But I bet not many people either know or care about it.
  • Lets not forget what he wrote about Vermont.
  • The Definitive Lovecraft. I'm not reading 67 of these, so what ones should I go for?
  • They're short stories. You could blow through all of them.

If you must, try:

The Colour out of Space
    The Call of Cthulhu
    The Thing on the Doorstep
    The Music of Erich Zann

That'll give you a good picture.
    Yeah, but 67. How about The Mountains of Madness? That's another one I've heard of.
    Yeah, but 67. How about The Mountains of Madness? That's another one I've heard of.
    "The Shadow over Innsmouth", and and for a long one "The Dream-Quest of Unknow Kadath" are also pretty good. Though Ryms list will give you a very solid picture of the style of Lovecraft.

• edited October 2012
    The Definitive Lovecraft. I'm not reading 67 of these, so what ones should I go for?
    Don't bother buying that. This ebook has all his public domain works.
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • The Definitive Lovecraft. I'm not reading 67 of these, so what ones should I go for?
    Are there any of his works that aren't in the public domain?
  • Don't bother buying that. This ebook has all his public domain works.
    Certainly, I would never dream of buying a DRM'd ebook, especially when a public domain version is freely available.
  • I'm a huge fan of "Cool Air" for some unknown reason. And "The Thing in the Mirror"
  • edited October 2012
    The Definitive Lovecraft. I'm not reading 67 of these, so what ones should I go for?
    Are there any of his works that aren't in the public domain?
    There are some of his works that aren't included because they were a combined effort between him and other authors.
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • Don't bother buying that. This ebook has all his public domain works.
    I think I know what I am reading next, thanks.