This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Gently poking fun

edited March 2007 in Everything Else
I've been rofling over these two things for months, and am sufficiently bored enough at work today to take the time and mention them. Neither one annoy me so much as they greatly entertain me:

1) Rym does not say "vague." He says "vag." I think it might be a Michigan thing.

2) Scott has the most hilarious laugh when he gets going. At some point, if he is highly amused, he'll start giggling, and it sounds like he just can't control himself as he slides into a kind of high-pitched "oh god."

So... anyone else want to gently poke some friendly fun at Scrym's idiosyncracies? 'Cause you know they're good times!

Comments

• You can't make 10 (you can't make 10 (you can't make 10 (you can't make 10...) ) ) jokes.

shit recursion...
  • Rym does not say "vague." He says "vag." I think it might be a Michigan thing.
    It is a Michigan thing. ^_^* I've lost a lot of my accent over the years (old high school friend told me I "talk funny" recently), but a good deal of it remains. You should hear me attempt to say "crayon." ^_~
  • You should hear me attempt to say "crayon." ^_~
    Do you say it like "Cran"?
  • Lol Rym, that's okay, I still have quite a thick Canadian influence on my speech pattern because I grew up so close to the border. I listened to a lot of the Canuck radio and watched a lot of Canuck television, so my vowels tend to be slurred all to hell. Thus, "roof" becomes "ruff." (I've heard that in your enunciation, too, and it feels like home. *Sentimental sigh*)

Seriously, the Scott giggle thing has made me laugh in rather inappropriate surroundings, though -- grocery stores, post offices, police stations, bathrooms....
  • Thus, "roof" becomes "ruff." (I've heard that in your enunciation, too, and it feels like home.
    That's weird. I grew up in Canada (Vancouver) and have always said "roof". I always thought it was Americans who said "ruff". Maybe it's an Ontario thing. FWIW, most of us out West don't say "aboot", either -- I'm pretty sure that's also a regional thing. I will admit to long-o "sorry" (pronounced "s-oh-rry" vs. "s-ah-rry"), though. :)

(Sorry to join the thread a few days late...)
  • *giggles* There are a lot of mispronunciations by Scott and Rym seems to pick up on them a good deal of the time and then Scott does his signature "whatever" and then Rym laughs. It's funny.
  • Lies.

"Vag" is as much a Michigan thing as "linEER". It's not an accent, it's just Rym.
  • edited April 2007
    Yeah, I've been meaning to ask about linEER, because I've heard lots of podcasters pronounce it that way. I always thought linEER was just a Rym idiosyncracy until I heard Dave and Joel say it, too -- and then when the others started creeping up my skin began to crawl.

So tell me, dear netizens, is linEER the correct mathematical pronunciation, or are you just crazy bastards?
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Lineer is wrong.
  • Anyone who says it is picking it up from Rym.

Linear is a three-syllable word.
  • Mr. Jennings, my high school calculus teacher, said it "lineer" each and every time he said the word. He also said "m'kay" about five thousand times per class, but that's another issue altogether. ^_~
  • He also said "m'kay" about five thousand times per class, but that's another issue altogether. ^_~
    You lived in South Park!?
  • South Park was never "Suicide High", so I doubt it.
  • "Hmm Hmm" I think Scott does this more and stresses it out more. So I guess it would me spelled out more like "hmmmm hmm" Rym does a short quicker "Hm Hm"
  • m'kay? m'kay? m'kay? m'kay? m'kay? ...... m'kay? ........ m'kay? m'kay?
  • LIN-E-AR! 3 SYLLABLES!

God, that bothers me to no end.
  • I use both "lin-e-ar" and "lin-eer" depending on context and how much emphasis I'm putting on, er, linearity. :D

Also, "lin-yia". 8D
  • I've got a fair dosage of Irish in my Accent, so I still end up saying things like "Flar"(Flower), "Arr"(Hour), and "Shar"(Shower)