This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070329 - Weapons and Arms

2»

Comments

• edited March 2007
    This episode made me think of a tabletop I played a few times in high school called Hunter: The Reckoning. The only difference is that then humans who are imbued and know about the zombies etc are slightly superhuman and don't have to rely solely on weapons when combating zombies or what have you.
    Post edited by RainbowRaven on
  • This episode made me think of a tabletop I played a few times in high school calledHunter: The Reckoning. The only difference is that then humans who are imbued and know about the zombies etc are slightly superhuman and don't have to rely solely on weapons when combating zombies or what have you.
    That was also a pretty damn fun 4-Player game for the X-Box.
  • edited April 2007
    I tried that Terminator move with my airsoft shotgun when I first got it, man is it easy to screw up in a very bad way.
    You're talking about the part when Arnold's on the motorcycle and he does that hand flip/spin thing to chamber the next shell? It was a modified shotgun, you can't do that with a regular one. I don't remember where, but I remember seeing a thing on TV where they explained how they did that.
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • I know you can't actually do it. Now.
  • I've always loved those old Disney cartoons, they're a lot better than most of the stuff Disney puts out in therms of animation these days.

As for what you said about weapons and dealing with zombies I do agree that you do need to have some sort of back up in case one grabs you.

Also I don't have a problem with zombie related Thursday episodes. But make sure you spread them out a bit. Do them too closely and they'll get real boring real quick I think.
  • You used to fill up those hot water bottles with hot water to warm up your bed. This was an improvement on those bed warmers you'd have to fill with hot coals. Those things might set the bed afire. The only problem with the hot water bottles was that, if the stopper came out, your bed would be filled with water. I actually had that happen to me when I was a kid.

People sometimes used them like heating pads, as Scott suggested.
  • Oh, that reminds me. I used a hot water bottle when I was really little.
  • Grandpa Joe, will you tell us about the war again? About how you fought back the damned the damned Prussians for President Wilson?
  • Here's a thought - If you're looking for close range stopping power in an accurate side-arm, against shred-the-brain-and-they-die zombies, you could go for a .22 LR. It has enough power to punch through a skull anywhere within about 25 feet, but not enough power to exit the skull, so it just bounces around like a pinball, shredding brain matter as it goes.
  • edited April 2007
    Grandpa Joe, will you tell us about the war again? About how you fought back the damned the damned Prussians for President Wilson?
    Well, I was mostly flying, but I did get a look at the trenches near Suippes in late ’17. I walked six miles before daylight from the aerodrome to the trenches. They were filthy and horrible. I don't see how the men stood it. The stink of dead Huns in front was awful even in the freezing cold weather. Soon after daylight I followed a party cleaning out an old communications trench with hand grenades. I went along until I saw four boche killed by grenades, two bayoneted and one poilu shot through the head. It was sickening but I suppose I could get used to it. Everyone does.

Late in afternoon the boches began shelling the trench and we retired to dugouts. Then we went to the Bois de Boche to see artillery and watch trenches from observatory. I wore a big French fur overcoat in addition to my own. We went through an old boche system of trenches and tunnels at Bois de Boche to the observatory. We could see the lines for miles. We watched our artillery shell a boche blockhouse and saw the boche form a box barrage, but our artillery shelled them so heavily the raid was not successful. There was lots of activity. The colonel said it was because the boche were nervous. We watched two persistent boche airplanes being shelled. On our way out we stopped at a battery of 75's which was shelled the day before. On our way to the captain's dugout the boche started shelling it again. The second shell hit near us and knocked me into a shell hole. My casque was knocked off and dented by a fragment and after we reached the dugout we found that another fragment had taken a patch of fur off the shoulder of the French overcoat and bruised my arm slightly. They must have fired twenty 102mm shells. One shell caved in one entrance to the dugout, another ruined a gun and a third buried 200 rounds of our ammunition. We waited half hour after the firing stopped and then beat it out of danger. The captain let me keep the casque I wore as a souvenir.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited April 2007
    I nearly gave myself a concussion after slapping my forehead when Scott referred to a break-action shotgun as a muzzleloader. Breechloader is the term you want there.

A muzzleloader is any gun where the powder and projectile are loaded through the muzzle and rammed all the way down the barrel. The replica 1853 Enfield rifled musket I use for Civil War reenacting is a fine example of a muzzleloader.

Thing about those weapons is that the bullet they fired was a nasty .58 caliber chunk of lead that travelled at a relatively low muzzle velocity. What you got on imapct was a lot of shock transmitted to the target but not a lot of penetration, at least in contrast to modern rounds. And heaven help you if that big bullet struck a bone, because it would effectively shatter it to the point that amputation was pretty much the only viable option.

And to dear chronocross_xp, if you think a mall-bought katana is going to do anything more than get bent into a horse show after its first big impact then I direct you to this:

Stupid shop-at-home host

By contrast, a real katana can in fact cut a bullet in half, under the right circumstances...

Katana vs pistol round
    Post edited by RichLather on
  • You know, it would be really awesome to do that in real life. However, first you have to be a master in swordsmanship and be very careful not tu move after hitting the bullet other wise the bullet might just pass directly through your eyes.
  • Do I look like some sort of gun expert?
  • Only on Tuesdays.
  • edited April 2007
    Do I look like some sort of gun expert?
    No, you look like an 8-bit hockey player.
    Post edited by RichLather on
  • edited April 2007
    Do I look like some sort of gun expert?
    No, you look like someone who tried to be an authority on something he had no business talking about.
    Post edited by Kaptain K on
  • Do I look like some sort of gun expert?
    No, you look like someone who tried to be an authority on something he had no business talking about.
    I don't remember trying to speak with authority. I'm pretty sure I said something along the lines of "Isn't it called a muzzle loader?" as opposed to "It's called a muzzle loader fool."
  • Heh.. We actually edited out a bit after that where I explained to Scott the differences due to the fact that I did so primarily through wild gesticulation and miming, which doesn't translate very well into audio.
  • Nor does the gesticulating, especially if you're miming using a ramrod--it can be taken...um...the wrong way.
  • Enter to the fight, the chainsaw class: