This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070403 - The Battle for Wesnoth

2»

Comments

• PC gaming is so much more practical than console gaming. #1. the games for PC's are generally cheaper. Especially if you wait a while, you can pick up games for $20. I used to buy $3 games at ebgames (REALLY old ones). #2. Mouse and Keyboard combo provide greater play control. The keyboard provides a superior number of possible buttons and the mouse pointer is much more sensative and easier to control. #3. Graphics previously were superior on PC's. Consoles recently caught up to PC's in the graphics department and therefore, may help others in a rebuttle. However, consoles are typically marketed for 5 years before a new one is released. Therefore, after about a year or two from the original release date of a console, the system becomes dated and inferior to PC possibilites. Which leads me to #4: PC's just need to be upgraded in order to increase visual quality and performance rather than buying a whole new system & games.

I bought a Wii as it brings a slight change to gaming in utilizing the remotes. I love playing wii sports and am waiting for a gladiator game to be developed that accurately reads and displays your arms motions in swinging weapons and using shields, ect.

And on the Desktop Tower Defense: Thanks a lot!!! I played it like crazy yesterday. I finally beat medium mode with a long maze of pellet towers and a group of about 12 - 15 squirt towers in the middle.
  • The Battle for Wesnoth is a great game that reminds me of Fire Emblem. Good find; I'll be playing it for a long time to come.
  • edited April 2007
    PC gaming is not much more practical than console gaming. Simply because consoles can play whatever games that are made for it with ease. PC's on the other hand are comparatively much more difficult. To play the latest and greatest PC games at its visual glory, it requires video card that will cost you at least a couple hundred dollars. PC gaming in general is much more costly because of the need to upgrade you computer. PC games do not retain any of their value, so games will be cheaper. Console games get pretty cheap too. Just don't buy games from Gamestop/EBgames, they rip you off big time for used games. If you can use Ebay or check cheapassgamer.com(this site is the best) for deals you can get awesome games for very cheap. The pro of being able to play any game made for the console is a very big plus for consoles. I am being redundant. Consoles will last a longer gaming release span than your video card would.
    Post edited by mkg12 on
  • Can anyone help me find the Windows compiled version, or would I just need to pop the source code into Visual C++ to compile it?
  • Wesnoth homepage

There is a Windows exe installation file.
  • PC gaming is not much more practical than console gaming. Simply because consoles can play whatever games that are made for it with ease. PC's on the other hand are comparatively much more difficult. To play the latest and greatest PC games at its visual glory, it requires video card that will cost you at least a couple hundred dollars. PC gaming in general is much more costly because of the need to upgrade you computer. PC games do not retain any of their value, so games will be cheaper. Console games get pretty cheap too. Just don't buy games from Gamestop/EBgames, they rip you off big time for used games. If you can use Ebay or check cheapassgamer.com(this site is the best) for deals you can get awesome games for very cheap. The pro of being able to play any game made for the console is a very big plus for consoles. I am being redundant. Consoles will last a longer gaming release span than your video card would.
    But PCs aren't just for console games, and PC games are also a lot easier to make. I dunno if any of you have heard of the free game maker aptly title Gamemaker (located at gamemaker.nl). It's a great way to use drag-and-drop to make games... kinda like that XNA thing (but free unless you want to register it for addition functions and particles and stuff like that). I've actually attempted several games with it, though they tend to not work out too well. I do have a neat 2D arcade shooter in the vain of Geometry Wars that is relatively fun and has a neat art style.

I think there is a place for PC games and console games. I don't think the way for the PC to go though is the high-end graphics card though. Good points all around.
  • You guys called for good open-source games. I give you M.U.G.E.N.