This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime-Pulse on the "Worst Podcasts" episode...

2»

Comments

• I've listened to Anime Pulse and found it to be awful. I'm glad it was included in the wort podcast list.
  • AP deserves its place on this episode. How such a show got into the podcast pickle hall of fame and not AWO is beyond me. But then again, Podcast Pickle isn't the most reliable of podcast directories, is it?

What more is there to say about a podcast with neither style nor substance?

I will admit that I WAS a fan (mostly due to the fact that they were my first podcast and forum experience), but once I got a taste of Fast Karate . . .

Besides that, it's an hour of in-jokes, bad jokes, non-jokes, constant interruptions, shitty and boring news, shitty and boring fanmail, and winded, boring reviews that don't really tell me anything.

I have even worse things to say about their forum . . . but this isn't the time or the place for that.
  • How such a show got into the podcast pickle hall of fame
    Podcast Pickle et al. are garbage.  I believe we've done a show on why.  If not, we will. ^_~
  • Yeah, you have. I think it was on the aptly named Podcast Directories episode (I hope I got that right).
  • It was all pretty much praise for digg's podcasting thing...which as it turns out isn't that hot either.
  • It was all pretty much praise for digg's podcasting thing...which as it turns out isn't that hot either.
    It's still the best one out there. ^_~
  • I think the best way to determine if something truly is a "worst", criticize them. People who take constructive criticism well always gain points in my book.
    That said, I've listened, and still kinda do, to AP. It's not horrible, but I wouldn't, say, care enough about the podcast to join their forums.
  • Hmph. The AP forums are a collection of imbeciles and immature, 12 yr old kids who think Inuyasha is deep and Naruto is the best thing since the Internet. Not to mention that they're lead by self-righteous, overzealous, oversensitive people selected for no particular reason aside from the possibility that it's their reward for kissing ass. But that's just my take on it. :P
  • edited July 2007
    A.P. well what can I say I still listen to them if only to kill time at work, sometimes I get just tired of listening to them in a podcast and once I realize where their closing song comes from I was about to cancel my subscription. But then again it is free, and I sometime go to their forum if only to see if someone had replied to any old anime treads that I have ever posted there. During the past couple of weeks I just used as means of downloading new ep of Doctor Who.
    It last ep. was relatively ok, if only because they did review Ichigo 100% and they kind of hated on it, but not too much :P
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Hmm. One Sin. I'm a fan of AP and Geeknights, among others. You seem to have a serious issue with them and like to badmouth them and their forums.

I'm not active on their forums, but I did go look through them a bit after your comments. For someone who hates them so much, you sure posted a lot, almost 4000 posts.

It also seems as though you contributed to the general tone that you hate. Allow me to quote (blank lines removed).

"Welcome to da forums! Feed mes!!!!! T-T"
    "Hihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihi! I hope that doesn't count as one word. XD"
    "Is this kid a radio DJ? Cuz ya sure like ta announce yourself. He must think he's big sh!t.
    Because even without the announcement, we can tell it's you BY THE fudging TEXT LEFT OF YOUR POST."

Judging by that, did you perhaps get burned by something/someone, or since they appear to have a forum moderated by the top three fans, of which you should be but are not, might that account for your seemingly obsessive hate for them? I'd be interested to hear if you have actual valid complaints regarding their management and/or leaders, since you seem to like throwing out accusations without substance.
  • Holy crap. Out of the darkness comes this thread. Actually. I submitted the Mechhead Podcast entry that took 5th place...and I feel kind of dirty about it. I think Rym and Scott hit the nail on the head when they pointed out that, no matter what, these podcasts were at least doing "something." So many of us get pretty self righteous about other podcasts when we are not producing content ourselves.

God bless these other podcasts for trying.
  • Yep. They're out there working on them while the majority of us sit here and bitch about them. Classy. :)
  • edited July 2007
    psiclopz: Did a bit of research on me, did ya? Well, pull up a chair and listen up. This is gonna be a long story.

Anime Pulse was the first podcast I listened to and their forums were the first I've participated in. Back in those days, I thought it was the greatest fucking thing ever. They were relatively funny and the people in the forums had some degree of intelligence. Unfortunately, I hopped onto the bandwagon just as it was about to fall apart. Most of their original and early fans had left them at this point, leaving my "generation" of fans to keep the newbies in check. At this point, we were still optimistic and dedicated as you'd expect from people who were only familiar with the AP online community. We struggled to keep things lively, making scores of topics and putting on a friendly face for the new people as shown in your first two quotes. For awhile, it was all good. We had a few fights here and there as is to be expected from any online community. One day, we learned of a gigantic clusterfuck between the admins and the person who preceded me as the third "Top Fan" moderator. This fiasco ended with him being banned and all traces of him being obliterated from the forum. In fact, if I recall correctly, they had even forbidden mentioning his name in the IRC channel. I had the fourth most posts at that time (prior to all traces of him being eliminated), so by process of elimination, I replaced him.

It was at this point that the more experienced members on the forum began to question the admins (especially Ichigo) and their policies. As time went on, more and more of the forum's flaws became apparent: random people were appointed mods (these people were mostly on really good terms with the admins and had little internet, much less mod experience), the antics of the hordes of newer Inuyasha and Naruto-toting fanboys/girls flooded in, left unchecked because the admins wanted to "get a wider audience". Tension built up as more and more older members found themselves arguing fruitlessly against the administration. My time came when I had a run-in with one of the randomly chosen mods on the forum.

1. Some member had jokingly made a rape comment.
    2. Said mod jumped all over him for this, hurling fire and brimstone for the "offense".
    3. I called said mod out saying that her conduct was "Impulsive and unbefitting of a moderator".
    4. This didn't go too well with the administration which ignored the mod's rashness and instead berated me, relieving me of my position.

In addition to my personal issues with the administration, other cases of their haphazard management.
    - Any post that a moderator or adminstrator dislikes is deleted in short notice.
    - On the IRC, OPs throw their weight around, banning on the slightest provokation.
    - Prior to me ditching the shithole, active mods and admins tended to act impulsively and often irrationally, silencing any view that opposed their fundamental beliefs.
    - Spam abounded as people who, frankly, didn't know what the fuck they were talking about were allowed to go around and flood topics with random and idiotic comments.

If for some reason you need any more, ex-AP members pass through my IRC channel from time to time, so if you want a second opinion, the people at #OneSin on the Rizon server would be the people to ask. Or perhaps you'd like some IRC logs to further support my claim. Unfortunately, as I have stated before, posts that their forum mods find "unpleasant" tend to "disappear" so unfortunately, I have little evidence remaining on their forum.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Here you can say whatever the fuck you want, we just ask you say it in proper grammar. ^_^ I've found that those who can format a proper sentence usually have enough common sense not to post frivolous ideas.
  • Ah, damn, looks like I hit a few typos, eh?
  • Mr. Period....my hero!
  • edited July 2007
    Well, as a fellow former AP fan like one_sin, I fully endorse her opinions. I would like to add that AP's hosts show very select favoritism towards certain fans, and in fact can be rather rude to others.

For now, that's all, but to psiclopz, I'd like to say, "PWNT!"
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited July 2007
    Mr. Period....my hero!
    That was me damn it! I never get any credit around here... -_-
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited July 2007
    Thanks for your insight One Sin. I'll take it with a grain of salt, as everything has two sides, but it sounds like you have legitimate complaints. Of course, this is why I keep forum/myspace/facebook interactions to a bare minimum. Mainly because the law of internet assholes.

And Leviathan, PWNT? How so? I simply asked for some clarification as it seemed to be an extreme amount of hate.

All that being said, I still enjoy listening to AP as well as GN, and plan on continuing to listen to both. And as far as accepting feedback, it seems like they have made a lot of audio changes lately. I think what Rym said regarding pause reduction has been implemented, as well as a format change, with Bleach/Naruto and site news/emails at the very end.

Thanks again.

-Psiclopz
    Post edited by psiclopz on
  • Mr. Period....my hero!
    You need a calling card, like a thief.
  • Mr. Period....my hero!
    OK seriously now. I thought Mr. Period was just the 'persona' of all the mod's who spell checked. Is there actually a separate person who is the real Mr. Period?
  • . . . now I know!
  • . . . now I know!
    And knowing is half the battle!
  • It last ep. was relatively ok, if only because they did review Ichigo 100% and they kind of hated on it, but not too much :P
    There's not enough hate in the world for that piece of trash.
  • You know WiP, you could always make your corrections in a different color :)