This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rock Climbing

RymRym
edited April 2007 in Everything Else
So, I've somewhat accidentally taken up freeclimbing as a hobby.

I stopped on the way home from work to nominally take some pictures of an old water pumping station in order to start out my flickr account on the right foot. One thing led to another, and I ended up most of the way up the mountain.

I did get some nice shots, however.

Comments

• I added you as a contact :)

I hardly ever use my flikr, but when I do it'll be mostly for yoyoing pictures...
  • I'm surprised you hadn't taken up rock climbing before; you're the generally adventurous type, so it just seemed like the thing to do.
  • I'm surprised you hadn't taken up rock climbing before; you're the generally adventurous type, so it just seemed like the thing to do.
    You wanna know the answer? Weightlifting.

I tried rock climbing a long time ago, when I was in high school. I couldn't do it. I just wasn't strong enough to pull my body up with my arms alone. I didn't have the grip strength to hold on while I looked for purchase with my foot.

Now that I've been lifting a little, I can do these things. It's not that I didn't want to rock climb before: it's that I didn't have the ability. ^_~
  • Wow Rym, those eyebrows sure are bushy.
  • Wow Rym, those eyebrows sure are bushy.
    They used to be eyebrow singular. In fact, I'd say they even deserved the definite article: the eyebrow.
  • edited April 2007
    Neat, I always kind of wanted to try rock climbing but never had the opportunity.
    That and, if I did, I'd probably fall and kill myself.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited April 2007
    Try to use as little arm strength as possible. You want to keep you arms straight when you can and find higher spots to put your legs. Use your legs to push yourself up. That is the key to reduce fatigue in your arms when doing climbs. The community college I was going to offered rock climbing at an off campus indoor climbing gym. I took it for 2 semesters, basically twice a week for a year, so I have some experience. It was pretty awesome. The class let you climb whatever you wanted.
    Post edited by mkg12 on
  • You want to keep you arms straight when you can

Yes, basically, hang from your skeleton, use your legs, and you'll be fine.
  • I'm jealous. We have about 8 inches of snow on the ground with more snow predicted for Thursday. This spring has been downright depressing. It's made me look forward to increased global warming.
  • Don't fall!

I rock climb alot as well and I do really good for a slightly overweight guy, but the secret is flexiblity.
  • edited April 2007
    You should find a Rock Gym in your area, Rym. I went to one once, it was great fun. And I don't mean find a place that has one rock wall. I mean a full-on rock gym.
    Post edited by Sail on