This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Game

edited April 2007 in Everything Else
I'm guessing you've never heard of this, since I believe it originated from my high school's J-Club. There is a game, known as "The Game". To play "The Game", just follow the rules below:

1) Whenever you remember the game, tell everyone you know is playing the game "I lose".
2) You can't lose if you've lost in the past 10 minutes.

That's it. This game is a sweet inside joke for me, and it's provided quite a bit of good humor. I've known some who write it off as being stupid, but it's ironic, because those people who don't care are the best at the game. People like me who are sucked in are awful at it.

Oh, and I lose.

Comments

• I've known some who write it off as being stupid
  • Wouldn't everyone lose as soon as one person lost? When someone tells you they lost you would remember the game.
  • Wouldn't everyone lose as soon as one person lost? When someone tells you they lost you would remember the game.
    Ah, paradox.
  • omgonoz! I am teh lose! Eh, not all that fun. Oh well.
    Yeah, that's the point. It's not as much fun in forum posts and such. It's the sort of game that you learn firsthand, typically when everyone else says "I lose" and you're like "Huh?". Then everyone fills you in, and you figure it out.

Sometimes I start talking about the game and don't even remember to say "I lose". Then I remember and I think that I'm losing my mind. The other thing is that whenever says "I win!" or "I lose" (referring to something else), you remember it. It's the funniest thing when you forget about it for a few weeks or months and then suddenly remember it in the middle of nowhere.
  • Thanks to Sluggy Freelance's Micro-Vericon report, I just lost, and I'm taking all of you with me.
  • During D&D this weekend my friend annouced it and my other friend learned what the game was. His face was WTF.
  • I'm guessing you've never heard of this, since I believe it originated from my high school's J-Club. There is a game, known as "The Game". To play "The Game", just follow the rules below:

1) Whenever you remember the game, tell everyone you know is playing the game "I lose".
    2) You can't lose if you've lost in the past 10 minutes.

That's it. This game is a sweet inside joke for me, and it's provided quite a bit of good humor. I've known some who write it off as being stupid, but it's ironic, because those people who don't care are the best at the game. People like me who are sucked in are awful at it.

Oh, and I lose.
    Actually, that stupid thing has been around for a while, and everyone thinks they started it. I think it's from a movie.
  • Don't we already have a thread on this?
  • edited February 2008
    Nobody really knows where it came from, but it definitely goes back to at least before 1996, probably earlier. Lose The Game, the most dedicated website on the internet to the subject of The Game, has a bunch of conflicting origin stories that they've come across: http://www.losethegame.com/origins.htm

EDIT: Just did a forum search, and I couldn't find another thread about this topic. Unless there is another thread about The Game whose subject line doesn't include "game", I think we're good to post in this one. :)
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Yeah, the origins of the game are shrouded in mystery.

Oh wow. I just read that website (tenchi's link). Frankly, I'm somewhat surprised Riz's name is on there. I'm pretty sure he went back in time to create the game, as the story goes.
  • You jerk. I just lost the game.
  • Hey guys, let's all pretend The Game is still funny.
  • Was the game ever funny?
  • Was the game ever funny?
    Is the pope pro-science?
  • I just found out that there's no wikipedia page about the game... Why?
  • I just found out that there's no wikipedia page about the game... Why?
    Because everyone would lose if they read the page.
  • I enjoy the game, because it was HUGE at the camp that I love so much. I was at a site that had over 500 students (LAN), so every time someone lost the game, the campus EXPLODED with "I LOSE"s all around. It was brilliant.

I continue to play the game, because it has tremendous nostalgia value to it. Also, if you're walking down the streets of Manhattan, and you hear someone yell "I LOSE," then the first thing that runs through my head is "OMG! ANOTHER CTYER!" Ah, good times.. :)
  • I had no idea this was this big.
  • The real trick is to separate the part of your brain that loses by thinking about it from the part that discusses it...doh...and I just lost formulating this response...but it's been a while...
    I had no idea something so stupid was possible.
    I had no idea something so stupid was possible.
    That's how I feel about Napoleon Dynamite, Date Movie, all of the Scary Movies, Epic Movie, and Meet the Spartans.
  • I thought Napoleon Dynamite was actually fairly good, or at least not bad enough to be lumped in with the rest of those terrible "Look, a reference to something popular! Instant hilarity, right?!!" movies.
  • edited March 2008
    Anyone have thoughts on this latest XKCD?

What do you think? Can you stop playing The Game if you decide you want to? Or are you still locked in it, no matter what anyone tells you? I'm inclined to agree with the camp that claims that because The Game is merely a mental construct created by man, that it is entirely possible to beat The Game by simply changing the way you view it. At the very least, even if you are still playing regardless, simply not caring robs any future "losses" of any real effect or power they supposedly have.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • You know, I saw that comic and thought to post it here, but then I came to the conclusion that the topic wasn't worth resurrecting.
  • I agree, I just don't care...

also, no-one here plays the game. I do know of it, but only because of this topic... does that mean everyone around me has won?
  • The Game is a 1997 American psychological thriller film directed by David Fincher and produced by Polygram, telling the story of an investment banker who is gifted with prepaid access to a game that integrates in strange ways with his life. As the lines between the banker's real life and the game become more and more uncertain, there are hints of a larger conspiracy.

The game in the movie can be viewed as a sort of alternate reality game with a large live action role-playing game component. Participants in real life versions of alternate reality games and live action role-playing games find the movie interesting and a source of inspiration for this reason.