This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dual Boot Ubuntu

edited April 2007 in Everything Else
So in the summer, I'm hoping to get a job and upgrade my PC. I was thinking of getting a new hard drive and putting Vista (possibly XP, depending on how stable Vista is by then) on it, formatting my old drive and installing Ubuntu on it. Is this advisable? Which version of Ubuntu do I want if so?

Please bear in mind I probably wont be upgrading for at least a couple of months

Thanks

Stefan

Comments

• No need to format any drives to try Ubuntu. The final version of Feisty Fawn will be out in less than a week, if there are no delays. Just burn that iso and run it off the CD. From that you should be able to tell if Ubuntu is right for you.
  • Oh, sweet! I guess I'll be doing that then. Thanks :)
  • Vista (possibly XP, depending on how stable Vista is by then)

Stefan
    I heard Vista isn't going too be so good or stable for at least a few more years.

Do your self a favor and use XP for now.

As Rym & Scott said, Vista doesn't allow non-Microsoft approved/licensed software and drivers on Vista. So ether it's XP or Linux.

I personally think that Microsoft put Vista out too early and so that it could compete with Apple's OS X, leopard, Tiger, and the rumored OS XI that might run on PC.

Sorry for the bad post I'm using Wii/Opera too do this since my computer is rendering a video for school.

• I personally think that Microsoft put Vista out too early and so that it could compete with Apple's OS X, leopard, Tiger, and the rumored OS XI that might run on PC.
    They didn't put it out too early, they put it out too late. Vista was supposed to be out in 2004 or 2005, not 2007. If it had come out on time, it would have been amazing. Instead, it's simply on-par with Linux and OS X.

The speculation about the evil DRM stuff in Vista was a lot worse than the reality. Sure enough, there have been reports of people having their codecs deleted after updates and such. However, you can run any software you want on it. You just can't install any drivers you want, but that shouldn't be a problem for most people. I used Vista on my new laptop for a couple weeks before replacing it with Ubuntu. It really wasn't that bad. It just didn't have anything great that gave me a reason to keep using it.
  • edited April 2007
    Interesting on the side note:

I have my Dad's/Mine Old Macintosh Plus next too me and when I started my Computer tonight I also turned on my Mac +.
    Of course, the mac was done booting by the time my computer screen said 'Windows XP' with the loading bar.

So why does a 20 year old computer boot and run faster that a Pentium 4._ computer?
    Yet the same is true even today, Macs boot faster that PCs w/ windows.

Just wondering.

Sorry if this is considered spamming
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • Interesting on the side note:

I have my Dad's/Mine Old Macintosh Plus next too me and when I started my Computer tonight I also turned on my Mac +.
    Of course, the mac was done booting by the time my computer screen said 'Windows XP' with the loading bar.

So why does a 20 year old computer boot and run faster that a Pentium 4._ computer?
    Yet the same is true even today, Macs boot faster that PCs w/ windows.

Just wondering.

Sorry if this is considered spamming
    It has nothing to do with how fast the computers are. It has to do with what the computers are doing at boot time. In order for an old Mac Plus to boot, it has to do almost nothing. Basically the power turns on, a very small program is loaded into the RAM, and it's ready for the user. Modern PCs are much more complicated and lots of things need to be loaded into memory, and lots of other things need to be done before the operating system is ready for the user.