This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

John Stossel

edited April 2007 in Everything Else
I get to meet John Stossel on Wednesday. I am peeing my pants with fanboyism. This is for me the feeling that Scrym would have if they met Miyazaki. Stossel's the media's foremost Libertarian... I will offer to have his children. I'm typing intermittently as I run around the room and bounce off walls.

Comments

• What did he say?
  • edited April 2007
    get
    This coming Wednesday. I will post pictures.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited April 2007

So his plane was late, my press time was canceled, and I am in a black mood. Oh, I still got to shake the man's hand and gaze into his Mustache of Justice, and he gave a terrific lecture on the villification of capitalism in the media and higher educational institutions. But I still wanted that picture of me and John Stossel for my Christmas cards. Next year, John Stossel. NEXT YEAR.

Best quotes of the night:
    "Patrick Henry didn't say, "Give me safety or give me death.'"
    "You'd think that I'd have a tough time defending sweat shops. Let me go ahead and give it a try anyway."
    "The government says nicotine and heroin are equally addictive, but nobody's knocking over 711s to get cigarettes."
    "There are only two ways of doing things in life: Voluntary and by force. Capitalism is voluntary. Government is force."

EDIT: For some reason, the picture doesn't seem to be showing up. Try this link:Here.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • John Stossel makes me want to punch him in the face. Don't get me wrong - I don't have anything against him personally, and I don't know enough about his views to form an opinion on them. There's just something about his face and the way he says "give me a break" that makes me want to stick him in the nose.
  • For the wages of sin are death....
  • Yes, cause we all know that we should vote for the president most likely to sit on the porch and have a beer with us, not his platform, like Bush!
  • edited April 2007
    For the wages of sin are death....
    Yes, cause we all know that we should vote for the president most likely to sit on the porch and have a beer with us, not his platform, like Bush!
    What?

Oh, I see. Because I responded to a question about Christians from a Christian perspective in another thread, it's totally cool and not rude at all to sarcastically quote scripture at me when I post in a completely unrelated thread. Also, because of my religious beliefs, I must obviously be a Bush-loving redneck.
    Post edited by clay on
  • Actually, given the quotes and the picture, I have to agree with clay. That is a face that invites the loving surgery of a baseball bat.
  • edited April 2007
    Clay, it had nothing to do with your Christian comments. I didn't even remember that you made that type of statement. Honestly, you're not even on my radar. I quoted that because growing up as a preacher's kid, I am steeped in that sort of mumbo-jumbo, and it is funny to apply deist context to my personal heroes.

As for rudeness, get fucked. Your beliefs aren't exempted from mockery. If you have a hard time with people picking at backward, primitive ideas like Christianity, then you're not going to like these boards much.

In short, you're invited to say anything you want here. But you're not entitled to be free from offense.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Clay, it had nothing to do with your Christian comments. I didn't even remember that you made that type of statement. Honestly, you're not even on my radar. I quoted that because growing up as a preacher's kid, I am steeped in that sort of mumbo-jumbo, and it is funny to apply deist context to my personal heroes.
    Ahh, sorry for the misinterpretation. I totally appreciate that brand of humor.

The confusion came from the fact that your comment was more subdued than the usual joke along those lines - usually some form of the words smite, blasphemer, heretic, or wrath come into play. That, combined with your comment after my post in the "true Christians" thread, combined with the comment from Water, made the joke sound less like John Stossel fanaticism and more like a religious jab in my mind. So, again, sorry for the misunderstanding.
    As for rudeness, get fucked. Your beliefs aren't exempted from mockery. If you have a hard time with people picking at backward, primitive ideas like Christianity, then you're not going to like these boards much.

In short, you're invited to say anything you want here. But you're not entitled to be free from offense.
    Now I think I'm being misunderstood here. Please realize that I thought you had interjected a religious jab into an otherwise un-related conversation. What offends me is when people treat me differently in day-to-day situations simply because of my religious beliefs, not wisecracks about Christianity.

It's one thing if there's a discussion about religion going on. I know I'm going to be a punching bag then, and I'm fine with that. But if I'm posting in unrelated topics, I don't think expecting to be treated like human being is unreasonable. Religious intolerance isn't cool. No one likes it when Christian fundamentalists rain on their parades. So, it shouldn't take a stretch of the imagination to realize that Christians who mind their own business and don't bother anybody don't like to be harassed for their beliefs when they're just having a friendly conversation.

In short, criticize Christianity all you want, but if you think it's ok to treat someone as a punching bag in any random conversation, just because of their religion... well, fuck you too :)
  • Also, because of my religious beliefs, I mustobviouslybe a Bush-loving redneck.
    Wow, cause everything must obviously revolve around you. Look, you made an stupid statement, and I replied to you as such. Honestly, you haven't been around here long enough for me to recognize what you even said in that other thread. I didn't even know you said something in my Christianity thread. You said you wouldn't vote for him just because of the way he looks, which is extremely ignorant. I made the comment about Bush because when he ran, a lot of people felt like he was a down to earth guy which they could relate to, so they voted for him instead of looking at his platform. This had absolutely nothing to do with Christianity. I treat everyone like assholes, so don't you go on thinking that your special just because I made fun of you. As for being intolerant against religion, I have words about that, but it is for another thread.
  • You said you wouldn't vote for him just because of the way he looks, which is extremely ignorant.
    No, I didn't. I said absolutely nothing about voting or not voting for him. In fact, I went out of my way to specify that I have nothing against him.

This may be a stupid question, but is John Stossel running for office? I knew he was a journalist, but that's it. I just googled him and came up with nothing related to politics outside of his editorials. Wikipedia says nothing about his political career, either. That's the source of my confusion. I don't see why Bush would suddenly come up in response to a comment about how funny a news anchor looks.

In fact, I see no connection whatsoever between your post and mine. That's what threw me off. You see, cracks about all Christians being Bush-loving redneck idiots are very, VERY common. Also, I had just recently made that post in the Christian thread, which you started and were involved in. Your comment about Bush makes far more sense in reference to those two facts than it does in reference to my post about John Stossel. Your post made greater-than-zero sense in one context and zero sense in the other. I don't think I'm as off-base as you claim in choosing the context that makes the most sense. I'm incorrect, to be sure, but I feel my reasoning was sound.
    Also, because of my religious beliefs, I mustobviouslybe a Bush-loving redneck.
    Wow, cause everything must obviously revolve around you.
    No, not everything. Your post was in response to mine. It was directed at me.
    Look, you made an stupid statement,
    I completely agree.

On that note, I'd just like to add that I would never really punch him in the face. Certain people's looks and mannerisms just rub me the wrong way, and all I can think of is punching them in the face. Mark Ruffalo does it to me, as well. It's not their fault, I don't think they're ugly men, and I would never let my actual opinion of them be affected by something stupid like that.
    and I replied to you as such.
    Fair enough.
    Honestly, you haven't been around here long enough for me to recognize what you even said in that other thread. I didn't even know you said something in my Christianity thread.
    I understand this as well. Believe me, I don't assume I'm memorable enough for anyone to remember what I post. See my reasoning above.
    I made the comment about Bush because when he ran, a lot of people felt like he was a down to earth guy which they could relate to, so they voted for him instead of looking at his platform. This had absolutely nothing to do with Christianity.
    Okay, but in turn, my post had nothing to do with politics, let alone Bush.
    I treat everyone like assholes, so don't you go on thinking that your special just because I made fun of you.
    Of course not. But, if you were in fact being an asshole - which I now know you weren't in this particular case - I'd have every right to respond in kind. Which I did.
    As for being intolerant against religion, I have words about that, but it is for another thread.
    Ok.
  • edited April 2007
    [Sincere]Haha, ok you're right. The comment made absolutely no sense. I have no idea who John Stossel is and made the comment in between classes before I could actually make an intelligent post. The way Jason worded his post, it sounded like he was running for office, hence my remark. If I am guilty of one thing, it is being hasty in my posting (almost everyone here could vouch for that), which does get my into trouble. Please forgive me. [/Sincere]

EDIT: Nevermind, I cannot in good conscience be that much of a dick.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Category change: FlameWars
  • edited April 2007
    [Sincere]Haha, ok you're right. The comment made absolutely no sense. I have no idea who John Stossel is and made the comment in between classes before I could actually make an intelligent post. The way Jason worded his post, it sounded like he was running for office, hence my remark. If I am guilty of one thing, it is being hasty in my posting (almost everyone here could vouch for that), which does get my into trouble. Please forgive me. [/Sincere]
    That's cool. More than understandible. After all, my assumption about the meaning of your post was way off. I thought you meant offense when you really didn't, for which I feel really stupid. My big long explanation was just me trying to show that there was some kind of reasoning behind why I took your post the way I did. I over analyze and over explain, which digs me into deeper holes. So for that, I'm sorry.
    Post edited by clay on
  • Step off Clay! I'm the neo-con punching bag around these parts! Grr....
  • I would never knock someone's hero, but I've never liked Stossel since he did a 20/20 report on attorney's fees after he had a bad legal experience. He spent an hour griping about attorney's fees and bitched about the highest paid lawyers in the country.

Unfortunately, I have to agree about the punching part. His face just screams "Punch me, I'm an arrogant Ass!"

He could easily remedy that by shaving that cheezy moustache. I've had facial hair myself at various times of my life, in accordance with the prevailing fashion. At the moment, I have a goatee like Spock had in the "Mirror, Mirror" episode of ST:TOS. However, the only person I've ever seen look o.k. with a moustache is Jason Lee. Okay, maybe Lawrence Chamberlain, but that's all. Only those two people should ever be allowed to have a moustache.
  • However, the only person I've ever seen look o.k. with a moustache isJason Lee. Okay, maybeLawrence Chamberlain, but that's all. Only those two people should ever be allowed to have a moustache.
    What about Chuck Norris or Charles Bronson?
  • edited April 2007
    Totally off-topic for a second, but that goatee Spock was sporting made him look like a gay pimp. Not saying it has that effect on you; I TOO sport a goatee. However, a young Leonard Nimoy? Yeah... Gay pimp.

And as for Chuck Norris? He is always the exception that proves the rule. And Charles Bronson? He's one fugly dude. Bronson HAS to have that K & N ugly filter on his lip.
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • edited April 2007
    Colonel Mustard (aka Teddy Roosevelt) FTW

EDIT: OMG I just realized this but Jaime Hyneman looks an awful lot like Mister Roosevelt
    Post edited by Corbin on