This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bored at Work

edited March 2006 in Everything Else
Alright people. It's Wednesday right now, and I'm at work. I'm also bored. You see every day I drive an hour into the middle of nowhere to sit alone in an office until it's time to go home. So far three days have gone by this week and I have performed this same routine each day. During my time at the office out here I have not performed even one second of labor for the company I work for. Not once have I communicated in any way with any human being who works for the same company that I do. Nobody seems to know or care.

wtf?

I can't possibly be the only person like this. Don't tell me this is what I'm really going to do for the rest of my life.

I think I'm going to look at some jobs.

Comments

• Maybe you should, I dunno, talk to your supervisor and find out what the fuck's going on?
  • That would break the trend...
  • Dude, I feel your pain. The last week has been spent ghosting machines. THAT'S IT. You are more than welcome to IM me.

My first job out of college was at a bank. They sent me to a branch for a week of training. That entire week the branch had five customers. All of which showed up while I was on my lunch break.
  • edited March 2006
    A well paying job with limited labor? You poor soul.

Just burn a disc of awesome shit that can take up your time durring work or start some projects or somethin. You sound like you've got a good thing going. Hey, what about finally updating the Front Row Crew site like you've been talking about? You DO have the time now.
    Post edited by frostbitten_panda on
  • Ah, but you forget, frosty. Scott is a man of High Moral Values (it's true, he's told us all several times), and the idea of getting paid for doing nothing conflicts with this set of High Moral Values.

My advice: talk to a supervisor, as TheWhaleShark said. Your managers are likely grossly incompentent if they let this kind of thing happen for too long, but it may come back to bite *you* on the ass if someone higher up the food chain finds out you've done nothing for weeks without even questioning it. Either start asking questions, or look for another job, is my advice.
  • ::sigh::

Fools.
  • I submit that Scott is not thinking of Morals when he expresses his concern but is instead worried about his place in a capatialist free market. Where if you are in the private sector and find yourself not doing alot of work or being vital you run the risk of being downsided or let go. Also you have to worry about the health of a company that does not use it's employees to the fullest extend.

I wish I had more downtime at my work.. it's constant projects for me.. It's slow which means I don't have to work overtime, but it doesn't mean I don't have tons of work to do. ^_^
  • As far as I'm concerned, companies pay me for my time: nothing more. I often end up doing nothing, or even something stupid or counterproductive, due to the orders I receive from above.

That's fine with me. It's their money. ^_~
  • OMG. My boss just gave me something to do. I'll probalby finish it by the end of the day, but at least I'll be doing something.
  • I'm pretty sure everyone in my office has an inkling that I'm looking for work elsewhere... ;^)
  • you didn't take the other job?
  • I'm in no rush to take any job at the moment. I don't want to be stuck somewhere I hate when my current gig is fairly cushy ^_~