This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

edited April 2007 in Video Games
Has anyone ever played this 1998 classic by Sid Meier, creator of the Civ games? Just curious.
For those of you that don't know, it's essentially Civilization plus some with a futuristic theme; the "factions" as they are called are trying to colonize Planet, a planet in Alpha Centauri. The game has fantastic graphics for the time, and it allowed for multiplayer as well (I've never played it though). Who doesn't like researching "Homo Superior" or building the Secret Project (i.e., wonder) "Theory of Everything"?

Comments

• I have... I still have the CD around here somewhere... but I never got into it. As much of a fan as I am of Sid Meier, specifically of Civ and Colonization, I never really liked AC. I could never really get into it. I think it was sort of how the game was laid out with the menu system inside the spaceship. I don't remember, its been a long time.
  • I got it for $5 a few years back in an Ocean State Job Lot(discount store) and although I've tried it a bunch of times, I don't think I have the patience or understanding necessary to really enjoy it. I remember it got like 98% or 99% from PC Gamer and this was made a huge deal of.
  • I'm in searching for a copy of the Linux version now.
  • Yeah, it is a lot more complex than the original. I can understand why you guys wouldn't like it so much, but it's a great game if you can get into it.
  • This is still one of my favorite games for the mac. While I have the original and the expansion, I never got used to the new factions in alien crossfire. Unfortunately, I've heard the multiplayer only works if you're both on the same operating system. If you've got the mac version I'd be up for a game or two, my research proposal didn't really need to get finished this week.

Gaians and extra mindworms FTW!
  • Gaians and extra mindworms FTW!
    The Peacekeepers shall ensure that the original mission of the Unity is not forgotten. Those mutinous factions that refuse to submit to the UN Charter shall be purified in a deluge of nuclear fire.
  • Gaians and extra mindworms FTW!
    There's Prophet Cha Dawn (ugh) in SMAX, who has +2 Planet to boot!

The University will topple your puny faction with advanced warfare and works beyond your wildest dreams!
  • My father bought Alpha Centauri for my younger sister, many years ago. Needless to say, he was the only one who played it. ;p We weren't much into strategy games at the time. I remember enjoying reading the manual though! Heheh, mindworms...
  • Mindworms are sweet.
  • But Gaians are wusses.
  • The civ line of games stole sooo much of my free time....

They are so addictive I dare not touch them ever again!
  • The civ line of games stole sooo much of my free time....

They are so addictive I dare not touch them ever again!
    Trust that thought, I need someone to come and uninstall Civ IV from my computer when I start my honours in July otherwise no thesis, unless it is a thesis on the best way to build up an army while not neglecting culture.
  • I might be inticed to play Civ-Net as a Geeknights event. I think that version supported up to 8 players.
  • Has anyone seen that super awesome new Sid Meyer's Civilization "boxset?"

It includes all of the civ's up to and including 4, and I think it is like $59 bucks. There is a single copy up at my gamestop. I imagine if I go up there and flirt with the 3 toothed old lady cashier I might be able to pick it up for $49. If I get it, I'll be dropping ubuntu like its hot until i can pick up another hard drive specifically for linux...
  • Does it have the DOS version?
  • edited April 2007
    I have no clue. Most likely, no.

http://www.amazon.com/2K-710425310744-Meiers-Civilization-Chronicles/dp/B000IU1PQA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-8733237-1525637?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1177777011&sr=8-2

[EDIT]

http://www.civilization.com/chronicles/

official page...
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • The old DOS version was known for the "chariot" bug. In essence chariots were the be-all end-all of weapons. Once you got chariots (wheel and horses?) you just sat back and built a shit ton of them and used them to take over the world!
  • I, personally, preferred Master of Magic as soon as it came out. Never played Alpha Centauri, but I played a lot of civ until I met MoM.
  • I LOVE Sid's Pirate's game. This is a really great game, and if you dig it, the PSP game is the way to go.