This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Power of the Dark Crystal (Spring 2008)

edited April 2007 in Movies
The Dark Crystal recently came to me via NetFlix because I loved it as a kid, and Kate had never seen it. I went online to look for artwork by Brian Froud, the very talented conceptual artist for the movie original movie, as well as Labyrinth. The original movie was as enjoyable as it was two decades ago, not to mention impressive all over again because of the puppetry and amazing costuming and craftsmanship that we typically seen done with mediocre CG these days. So as I was looking, I came across a wiki article about the sequel due out next spring. To my surprise, they are going to use animatronic characters and restrict CG to the backgrounds. While my hopes are not astronomical, I certainly am curious to see how the film turns out.

Comments

• I loved that movie as a kid and recently checked it out of the public library for nostalgia's sake. It held up surprisingly well. The Dark Crystal would make a great candidate for a Thursday episode :D
  • To hear that the use of CG will be restricted is good news. Dark Crystal was special because of all the puppetwork; to give its sequel any less would be tragic.
  • I agree. I watched the special feature "Making Of" on the DVD. The puppet work is truely amazing, and it's almost a lost art IMHO. Movies rely too much on CG these days for a quick fix, but it usually doesn't look as nice.