This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Cool Names

edited April 2007 in Everything Else
In my spare time, I've been tutoring this kid whose last name is Syin (pronounced "sin"). How cool would it be to go on and get your Ph.D and have everyone call you "Doctor Sin"? Actually, "Mister Sin" is pretty cool just by itself. I had a chemistry TA in school named Noe. He'd be "Doctor Noe". I had a paralegal student named Savage. "Doc Savage"? Damn. Finally, I knew a guy in college named Strange. These people should just be obligated to get their Ph.D's, even in something silly, just so they could live up to the potential of their cool names.

In my law school class, we had BOTH a Hatfield and McCoy. That was pretty cool in KY. There was a girl in my class whose last name was Justice. I always thought it would be cool if she were a judge or a justice.

I never thought my last name was that cool until I started seeing it in computer/videogame contexts. My last name is Render, so I have a bit of a chuckle every time I see something like "RenderWare" in the credits of a game. It's not a bad legal name either.

Comments

• I have a friend who's last name is Peece. We thought she should be a global ambassador. ^^
  • I was once in a hospital, and saw up on the Name board on the wall that tells you where to go to see the various doctors, the following - "Aiden Cockburn - Urologist"

Nominative Determinism FTW.
  • edited April 2007
    I have a customer at the bank where I am teller who's name is, and I am not kidding, Anita Cox. It makes me smile every time I think about it.
    Post edited by Cramit on
  • Isn't there a famous rock star named "Guy Man Dude" ?
  • The obstetrician who extracted me is named Dr. Slaughter. Awesome, I know. I've also met a Dr. Death (a surgeon).

Of course, there is always Ice Cube.
  • The Doctor who delivered my Aunt was called Dr Butcher, interestingly, and The head of the Fresh meat and Deli section in my local Supermarket is named "Tony Slaughter"