This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tom Corbett Space Academy

edited April 2007 in Everything Else
Okay, you guys might have had your Legos, but this Tom Corbett Space Academy playset was the coolest. I played the heck out of this thing. Here's some more pics from eBay. It was based on the Tom Corbett stories. This is why I so dearly enjoy the game Mechassault. The fortresses really remind me of playing with the playset.

Marx had a bunch of these playsets, but they were mostly repaints or recycled Space Academies. Now, the Guns of Navarone Playset was different, and I lusted after it almost as much as I lusted after Ellie Mae Clampett, but I never got my hands on one. Maybe someday I'll get one to make up for it, but I'd have to hide it from Carole.

Comments

• edited April 2007
    I had the Guns of Navarone playset :)

Somewhere along the line I lost the turret to the tank...

We used to put the rifle rack on top of a few boxes and have it face the doors on the bottom floor. We called it a trap and when the allies came in the bottom it shot everyone! Good times...

The elevator was cool shit too!

I lost that play set some time after my parents got divorced...

My step brother had some awesome play set that had a bomber or something with it... He was an only child though so he had all the cool Star Wars sets, including the original Falcon set and the Death Star set with the trash compactor monster in the foam!
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • edited April 2007
    I had the Guns of Navarone playset :)

Somewhere along the line I lost the turret to the tank...

We used to put the rifle rack on top of a few boxes and have it face the doors on the bottom floor. We called it a trap and when the allies came in the bottom it shot everyone! Good times...

The elevator was cool shit too!
    OMG! Was it as fun as it looked? Please, more stories. I had a friend that had Fort Apache. It was okay, but not nearly as good.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Are you kidding?

Not only were there cool steps on the outside for your guys to scale but you could break in through the bottom doors and make your way up the inside of the mountain!!!

I don't know why they used yellow for the German equipment but it worked well enough.

I also remember the German officer figures didn't have guns in their hands, they had them in their holsters. We used them as "go-fers" because they couldn't shoot.

The guns swiveled on their bases and we would pop out the grey bunkers to show something got hit. Then we would drop the bunker part down the side of the play set to see how many GIs got killed when it fell!

We even tried to make a dice-based game out of it at one point! Damn I wish I still had that play set...

I can't follow the link 'cause I'm at work but I had tons of fun with that play set.
  • Did you have any Matt Mason stuff?
  • I had Army Men. They were pretty awesome.
  • Did you have anyMatt Masonstuff?
    No
  • Wow, I've never seen old school playsets like these before. Here I am all this time thinking my Thundercat's Lair was pretty cool.
  • edited April 2007
    Wow, I've never seen old school playsets like these before. Here I am all this time thinking my Thundercat's Lair was pretty cool.
    And safety? Fugeddaboudit. Those spring loaded dealies were industrial strength. The rockets could actually hurt, and the saucer thingies could actually hit the ceiling. There were many, many sharp edges and small parts.
  • I remember when they recalled the old BattleStar Galactica toys because the rockets fired! Then they replaced them with ones that just clicked and moved out a half inch....

I also remember having at least one toy from the old Space 1999 set. I think it was one of the ships.

Remember the old Star Trek toys? We had the bridge set and one character figure for each of us (two brothers).

Those were the days when you had to get together with friends to play because almost no one had parents that would buy more than a couple toys from the same line. This was even more true when you had more than one kid in the family!

Apreche, the toys from the 80's are nothing compared to what existed in the 60's to mid 70's.
  • I remember someone in my family (not me) getting a black eye from the flying fist of Godzilla! Remember that one? I think it stood about 2.5 feet high! Solid hard plastic too!
  • edited April 2007

Remember the old Star Trek toys? We had the bridge set and one character figure for each of us (two brothers).
    You mean this one with the transporter? That was very fun. Not to brag, but since I was SO into Trek at the time, I had a figure of everyone except Uhuru, the Gorn, the Romulan, the Balok puppet, and the Andorian. I had a lot of Mego characters.
    I remember someone in my family (not me) getting a black eye from the flying fist of Godzilla! Remember that one? I think it stood about 2.5 feet high! Solid hard plastic too!
    Yeah, the two foot tall Shogun Warriors could do that too.

• Remember the old Star Trek toys? We had the bridge set and one character figure for each of us (two brothers).
    You meanthis onewith the transporter? That was very fun. Not to brag, but since I was SO into Trek at the time, I had a figure of everyone except Uhuru, the Gorn, the Romulan, the Balok puppet, and the Andorian. I had a lot of Mego characters.

I remember someone in my family (not me) getting a black eye from the flying fist of Godzilla! Remember that one? I think it stood about 2.5 feet high! Solid hard plastic too!
    Yeah, the two foot tall Shogun Warriors could do that too.

Damn you! All I had was the bones figure! My brothers had Spock and Kirk...

The Shogun warriors were cool too!