This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fuck Police

Comments

• Rym said:

Andrew said:

You misspelled racism there buddy.

I think the fundamental root of racism in the US today is now poverty.
    I think it could be argued that the reverse causation is actually at hand: That racism causes a lot of poverty for black people Personally I think there is a vicious circle between the two.
  • Racism caused poverty.
    Poverty is cyclical.
    Despite reforms, poverty persists, leading to new racism.
  • The weirdest thing I am seeing is people going full 9/11 Truther with the robbery footage. Like literal "let's zoom in on this part of the footage and record it with my phone to show something." anomaly hunting bullshit.
  • You would not want to see some of the people on my bookface feed then.
  • Every time I see pictures/video of Ferguson LE suited up, they look like big boys playing with their toys.

I'm starting to wonder if some of them are enjoying themselves out there.
  • Rym said:

Andrew said:

You misspelled racism there buddy.

I think the fundamental root of racism in the US today is now poverty.
    You don't think the crazy slant that US media exacerbates the situation to ridiculous levels?

The media that then bolsters the opinions of uneducated fools who feel they have the right to think, write, propagate racism due to the blanket freedom of speech they can hide behind?
  • I think with the Internet the idea that media could be the gatekeeper of rationality is long dead.

My problem with the media is comedy shows like Last Week Tonight with John Oliver imparts more information in 30 minutes than the MSM does all week.
  • 2bfree said:

Every time I see pictures/video of Ferguson LE suited up, they look like big boys playing with their toys.

I'm starting to wonder if some of them are enjoying themselves out there.

You're not the only one who feels that way. As I posted earlier, a bunch of real military veterans have basically said the same thing. They lack the proper training and discipline to use that military-grade hardware properly and responsibly. If they tried to pull some of the shit they were pulling while serving in the actual Army, they'd be reprimanded, court-martialed, or even worse.

I'm hoping that the fact that the National Guard was brought in will be a bit of an improvement, at least when it comes to handling the minority of protesters there doing stuff like looting, arson, firing off guns, and throwing Molotov cocktails. I'm basing this on the assumption that since the National Guard often has to serve overseas with the regular Army, they'd have the same training and discipline as well as follow the rules in the Army Field Manual (which basically lists much of what Ferguson LE was doing as total no-nos).
  • Why the fuck did a post I made need to be approved?
  • The filter thought it was spam.
  • An interesting White House petition reaches 100,000 signatures.

This particular petition will require all officers to wear body cameras so they can be monitored while on duty.
  • So apparently my earlier post got entirely swallowed. A video surfaced about Kajieme Powell shooting in St. Louis earlier this week. Essentially the guy stole two cans of soda, then started pacing erratically back and forth on the sidewalk with a knife in his hand. The police showed up, guns raised. He came closer and they and essentially shot him on the spot. No effort of non-lethal resolution whatsoever.

It was a "suicide by cop" case. But fuck, that doesn't mean that you have to oblige.
  • chaosof99 said:

pacing erratically back and forth on the sidewalk with a knife in his hand. ... No effort of non-lethal resolution whatsoever.

Well, there you go.
  • If assisted suicide is illegal, the suicide by cop means that the cops, by definition, are guilty of a crime.
  • edited August 2014
    Daikun said:

chaosof99 said:

pacing erratically back and forth on the sidewalk with a knife in his hand. ... No effort of non-lethal resolution whatsoever.

Well, there you go.
    You realize that there are more things on an officer's belt than just cuffs and a gun, right? Basically two officers emptied a magazine in the guy. Neither attempted to taze the guy, use pepper spray, or disarm him in any manner. The very first reaction of both was gun up, shoot him down if he moves a step closer.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I thought Daikun said that ironically, but maybe I misread his post.
  • If you're carrying a knife and running toward an armed police officer, of course they're going to panic.
  • edited August 2014
    Which is why the police probably shouldn't have had guns drawn in the first place.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Daikun said:

If you're carrying a knife and running toward an armed police officer, of course they're going to panic.

He wasn't running.

• That's an impressive cover.
  • I thought The New Yorker was supposed to be goofy...
  • Chilling. Reminds me of the one after Fukushima, it was a cherry blossom tree, but the leaves were nuclear symbols.
  • edited August 2014
    # red heads are the devil
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • edited August 2014
    In a similar vain: LAPD Officers refused to provide medical attention for a suspect in handcuffs who was having an asthma attack, him telling them as much and pleading for help.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Jon Stewart can still knock it out of the park: