This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime returns to the Sci Fi Channel!

edited May 2007 in Anime
Back in the early 90s, the Sci Fi Channel started a block which showcased animation and anime called Animation Station, which had popular shows like Transformers, Robotech, Gigantor, Galaxy High School, Ronin Warriors, Ewoks, Droids, Bionic Six, and others. Later on, they moved it to Saturday mornings, then to late, late Saturday nights before canning it, stating that they will NEVER air animation again.

All that started to change in 2004, when NBC purchased Universal (Sci Fi Channel's parent company). An original series, Tripping the Rift, made its premiere, as well as the network premiere of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. It was only a matter of time...

Now, that time has come!

On June 11, the Sci Fi Channel will premiere Ani-Monday, a weekly two-hour block of anime programming. Episodes, films, and other content for the block will be provided by Manga Entertainment. According to Sci Fi executive vice-president Dave Howe, this block is a part of an overall initiative to redefine Sci Fi as a "lifestyle brand," not just a cable TV channel. The new block will air from 11PM-1AM.

Read the full scoop at Broadcasting Cable.

Comments

• Animation Station I think was a syndicated programming block. It was awesome in the late '90s when I thought I would never be able to watch Transformers again, there it was. I was also able to experience Gigantor, Ewoks and Droids for the first time. However, the timing of these shows was very poor. No matter how hard I tried, I was never able to watch what I wanted. Eventually Toonami was the win.

For the record, I don't like the way Toonami went. The Toonami I loved was in 97 and 98. Voltron, Thundercats, Space Ghost, Herculoids, Birdman, and Robotech were the shit. Also, those days I got home early from school they had Thundarr the Barbarian before the show started.

Moltar is the only true host of Toonami.
  • Here's the schedule for the first three weeks:

June 11: Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society (11PM)

June 18 and 25: Noein (11PM), Tokko (11:30PM), Macross Plus (12AM)
  • Not TOO shabby. Haven't seen that GitS, but nifty. Haven't seen Noein, either, but it looked decent from the trailers. Love me some Macross Plus. Way better than Macross II, if you ask me. And never heard of Tokko, but I'm about to google it. Ok, this is what I found: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6276

Started off sounding really good, until the word "Bottomless." After that, it started sounding stupid. Oh well, two and a possible out of four is pretty good when it comes to anime on tv, I guess.
  • I remember back in the day when they showed the Tenchi movies on Sci-fi. I didn't watch it at the time because I didn't watch anime allot back then. I didn't start watching anime in till Tenchi shows had it’s short run on Adult Swim. Tenchi Universe is my favorite anime of all time.
  • You my friend need to watch more anime.
  • I love those type of harem and Shojo animes. That my cup of tea. I really starting to also watch Maria-sama ga miteru has well.
  • I love those type of harem and Shojo animes.
    D:
    D:
    DDD: