This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Homebrew...at WALMART?

I came across the attached item while looking for new games:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5716126

I know that Datel has an iffy name in the video game world, but the thought of an emulator/extra mp3 player for $27 keeps enticing me.

Does anyone have any solid intel about this little gadget? If there is even the slightest risk of "brick"ing my DS before I finish "Contact," then I don't want to chance it.

Many thanks, in advance, to anyone who can help me out!

Comments

• Please post links, not URLs.

• Games 'n' Music for NDS

With Games ‘n’ Music, you can put your Nintendo DS or DS Lite at the centre of your digital lifestyle. You can use it to launch home brew games written for the DS and readily available on the internet, listen to your happening sounds with the device’s integrated MP3 player or even watch videos. And you don’t need to modify your console to use it…

Games ‘n’ Music comes with a 128MB Micro SD card for you to store your games and data, and if that’s not enough, just slip in a new card and expand its capacity to up to 2GB. It’s really easy to use too. Just fit the Micro SD card into the USB adapter (supplied), plug it into your computer and drag and drop your files onto the card. It’s that easy!

Games ‘n’ Music contains everything you need straight out of the box. It even comes bundled with a 25-game CD, offering some of the best games the DS home brew scene has to offer, as well as a video conversion program for your PC (Windows XP or later required) to convert your movies and video clips to a format you can play back with Games ‘n’ Music. It’s the ultimate in digital entertainment!

Features

* Home brew gaming made easy.
    * Easy to use – drag and drop.
    * Watch videos and play MP3 sounds on your DS.
    * Comes with 25-game CD.
    * Video converter app included.
    * Includes 128MB Micro SD card.
    * Expandable to up to 2GB.

Sounds pretty cool.
  • It does sound really convenient.

Maybe find out it Datel will replace your DS if their software bricks it.
  • edited May 2007
    I wouldn't worry about it bricking the DS. I picked up the NeoFlash setup that uses a 2 gig DS cart, and a usb enabled gba transfer cart, and I've run homebrew on it flawlessly. People get the idea that homebrew will brick their portables from the fact that to run homebrew, a portable must be modded in some manner, which is true. My PSP is now running the dark alex 3.4 firmware now, which allows homebrew. If something had gone wrong, I would be out a psp. However, all of the DS mod techniques mod a cart, not the system. The DS sees the homebrew as nothing more than another piece of code on a cart.
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • edited May 2007
    Datel makes garbage. It won't brick your DS, but it has very limited functionality. The R4 for the slot 1 takes a micro sd card, plays clean roms of your game backups, and can run any homebrew, dslinux, dsOrganize, moonshell for media files, etc. all for the same price. http://r4ds.net/product.htm
    Post edited by evan15342 on
  • edited May 2007
    Yeah, I've got the Neo-Flash Mk5 (magic kart 5) 16G(16 gigabit=2gigabyte) card set. It sells for $59.99 and like I said, it uses a regular sized DS cart, and runs whatever you want straight off the cart. For data transfer, you start it up with the standard sized GBA usb cart(included) in the GBA slot with the usb cable(also included) connected to your computer, and it acts as a usb hard drive; no special software needed(as far as I can remember). It runs both homebrew and clean rom rips.

http://www.ic2005.com/html/2005/show-66.htm
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • I just recieved my R4 cart about 2 days ago. It is the most perfect of all flash cart devices I have ever tried for any game system. It's exactly the size of a normal DS card, requires no GBA slot cartridge, and requires no charging of batteries. My DS has become a playground.
  • Ooooh. So you just need an R4 and a MicroSD of some sort?

Is there a homebrew internet browser for the DS yet? I don't want to use the Opera one. Seems like it has pretty limited functionality and could be a pain to update. That OKiwi thing was still coming last I checked.
  • edited June 2007
    Hi guys. I know this may seem like a silly question, but is the RD4 and relevant components region free? I know that the games are, but am unsure if the same applies for this particular software. Also, I am very new to this homebrew "thingy" and very unsure of how complicated it really is to set up. Can anyone please post a link that will forward me to a site with simple explanations of what homebrew is, what to buy and how easy it all is. I have done limited research but would find your thoughts interesting and helpful. Cheers all.
    Post edited by Trekkygeek on
  • Wikipedia article on DS homebrew

Basically the simplest way to make it work is just buy a slot-1 device (such as the R4) and whatever else the device requires, such as a microSD card. Then you (usually) just put whatever homebrew software you have onto the card according to what the software author's instructions say and the DS should just boot to the card and give you a list of your software depending on what device you have.

I don't know much about the region issues on the hardware, but in my U.S. NDS everything just works. As for complexity, if you know how to:

a) buy something online

b) put a file on a USB drive

c) insert a DS card into a DS

...then you're good to go.