This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Lock my function key, or something.

edited May 2007 in Everything Else
Ok, I am running Ununtu on my new laptop. I went and installed GFCE Ultra emulator so I could play Rescue. The problem is, the A and B buttons are mapped to the 2 and 3 key pad keys. Obviously, my laptop has no such keys, but if the "Fn" key is held down, I can use K and L. My problem is that I can't hold down the Fn key while playing NES games. So, I need help with one of two options: Configure my computer so that I can lock the function key, or change the key mapping on FCE. Google has not been helpful on either issue and there is no obvious way to do it from the FCE interface or my computer settings. I'm hoping someone here has the answer I'm looking for. And I know you do =)

Comments

• edited May 2007
    System -> Preferences -> Keyboard -> Accessibility.

Check there I don't have Ubuntu booted but hope that helps.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • I had tried keyboard settings before. It doesn't work.

I fixed my problem. You just configure your keyboard as a controller through the command line.
  • Two words.

USB Gamepad.
  • My laptop has a Numlock key which when pressed in conjunction with the Function key once will turn the letters into the keypad.
  • edited May 2007
    My laptop has a Numlock key which when pressed in conjunction with the Function key once will turn the letters into the keypad.
    I have this as well. The only difference is that the NumLk key is NumLk by default. Fn+NumLk is ScrLk.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • My laptop has this quirky thing where, when you hold the shift key down for two long, it locks the shift key.
  • edited May 2007
    Two words.

USB Gamepad.
    I'll probably pick up a dirt cheap Microsoft SideWinder off of eBay. The going rate is less than 10 dollars for an unused one.
    My laptop has a Numlock key which when pressed in conjunction with the Function key once will turn the letters into the keypad.
    Oh shits! It works =)
    My laptop has this quirky thing where, when you hold the shift key down for two long, it locks the shift key.
    My mom's desktop does that. It's really annoying.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • My laptop has this quirky thing where, when you hold the shift key down for two long, it locks the shift key.
    This is a function of Microsoft WIndows, IIRC. It has nothign to do with the machine itself. I believe you can turn this off in the windows control panel under accessibility.