This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon Tournament??

edited May 2007 in Video Games
So I don't know how you guys fell about this but I notice a lot of poke-excitement around here (or maybe its just me), so I was wondering if we should look into organizing a tournament with all trainers on the forums. I was thinking something could get put together in say 3 - 4 weeks, I don't know how far everyone is on their respective quests but to avoid getting "pwnd" we could divide it in several categories. For example we could have one "league" with Pokemon under 25, one with 25 - 50, another above 50 and some uber league with level 100 Pokemon.

Let me know how you guys fell about this because I believe this could be a lot of fun and a way to bond together, specially for people who don't post a lot (like me) or for those just joining in.

Comments

• Can't you people wait for everyone to beat the game?
  • "Feel" is spelt with two 'e's and one 'l'. Just so you know.

I also think waiting a while would be a good idea. I mean, pokemon battles with other people who're just starting out i all very well but the limited selection of pokemon at that stage of the game makes it pretty boring. Maybe wait until everyone has at least finished with the Elite Four?
  • Can't you people wait for everyone to beat the game?
    I agree with Scott it is way to early to start a tournament. I mean I'm not even past the 3rd gym yet. I can't expect everyone has beaten the game by now. Give it a month or so.
  • I am down with the idea of waiting for everyone, and the categories are a good idea.
  • We should wait for everyone else to complete the game.

If you have beaten the game I'll take you on in a doubles battle!

If you have not beaten the game you likely have a team consisting of the following: Starter, Shinx, Roselia, Starly, Bidoof and Bronzong. If you do not have Chimchar you have Ponyta. If you do not have Piplup you have either Bidoof or Buzeil. If you do not have Turtwig you have Roselia. I used the evolution names I remembered in picking those names.

If you have not beaten the game you likely have a team consisting of the following: Starter, Shinx, Roselia, Starly, Bidoof and Bronzong. If you do not have Chimchar you have Ponyta. If you do not have Piplup you have either Bidoof or Buzeil. If you do not have Turtwig you have Roselia. I used the evolution names I remembered in picking those names.
    This is mostly true, but not 100% true. I have at the present time, Luxray, Graveler, Grotle, Ponyta, Prinplup, and Dustox! The thing is, I just don't see any of these Pokemon being on my final "real" team.

This is mostly true, but not 100% true. I have at the present time, Luxray, Graveler, Grotle, Ponyta, Prinplup, and Dustox! The thing is, I just don't see any of these Pokemon being on my final "real" team.
    So Scott, you got a Grotle eh? It seems that you fell on the same trap as Dave!

Vote for the Penguin!

• So Scott, you got a Grotle eh? It seems that you fell on the same trap as Dave!

Vote for the Penguin!
    I got all three starters! Rym and I did the trick.
  • Oh, yeah I forgot you guys talk about that on the podcast. Well, basically I just wanted to bash Dave :P .
    Anyhow why did you chose to go for the Ponyta instad of the Chimbar, or its later evolution?
  • Oh, yeah I forgot you guys talk about that on the podcast. Well, basically I just wanted to bash Dave :P .
    Anyhow why did you chose to go for the Ponyta instad of the Chimbar, or its later evolution?
    I was using the Chimchar, but it leveled up too much. I needed to beat the second gym leader in order to be able to control higher level traded Pokemon. However, the second gym leader is plant, and I needed fire. The Chimchar was too strong, so I couldn't use it to beat the gym leader. I had to go get a Ponyta to kill that gym leader. I leveled up the Ponyta so much, I just decided to keep using it. Besides, Rapidash is a good Pokemon.
  • That is true, Rapidash is pretty awesome but you need to evolve to level 40 to have one. What level is your ponyta?
  • That is true, Rapidash is pretty awesome but you need to evolve to level 40 to have one. What level is your ponyta?
    29? I'll get there.
  • Levels don't matter as much as movesets because I'd assume everyone will be ok with using the autolevel 100 to save time.

Getting a half decent pokemon team takes a surprising amount of time if you don't use the legendary ones.
  • edited May 2007
    Right now my team is
    Dialga lvl 47
    Empoleon lvl 42
    Rapidash lvl 41
    Staraptor lvl 39
    Pachirichu lvl 37 and
    Egg

I have a soft spot for the pokemons that I have caught in the beginning of the game, specially for Pachirichu since it does not evolve into anything :P

This is a weird question, but does anyone knows why the word Pokémon has a tilde on top of the e? I have only seen that in spanish to accentuate the e sound but why in english? Did that came from japan like that and why?
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Levels don't matter as much as movesets because I'd assume everyone will be ok with using the autolevel 100 to save time.

Getting a half decent pokemon team takes a surprising amount of time if you don't use the legendary ones.
    That's true, meaning EVs and IVs don't matter too much as well.

That's true, meaning EVs and IVs don't matter too much as well.
    They both carry over in the auto level 100 so they do matter. It's a lot easier to ev train with the new +4 EV gaining items than it is getting a perfect 31 IV. I guess we'll have to wait until the tournament to find out. :P
  • How do you get all starters in the beginning of the game?
  • How do you get all starters in the beginning of the game?
    You have a friend who has the game. One of you restarts the game a whole bunch of times and trades the starters to the other person. Once you have enough starters, you capture a bunch of Bidoofs and trade them to get the starters back. Isn't this obvious?
  • I've never played pokemon before so no it wasn't obvious. But that's a pretty neat trick in any case.