This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Call of Cthulhu RPG

I'm hoping Rym and Scott will make good on one of their old promises and discuss the Call of Cthulhu Role Playing Game. I've actually never played it and am curious to hear what it's all about.

Comments

• edited May 2007
    The Call of Cthulhu RPG is different than many RPGs on the market.

The biggest difference is that characters die. Often. More often than many D&D players have the stomach for.

The game is more about investigating than confronting. If the players can understand that knowledge is a better weapon against the Mythos than a LAW rocket they will do well.

I suggest you watch this to get a good idea of the game. I would have linked to the hosting website but they seem to be gone...

I have played some long campaigns of this game, but only with the right people. Those who come from the world of Fantasy RPG have trouble living in a world where one bullet can kill you.

Though, there used to be an old quirk in the game system where if you were scrawny you could survive having all of your limbs removed but not if you were muscular! It had to do with the way hit points were allocated to your body parts.

Even a well played CoC character is doomed. They may not die from a Mythos encounter but may instead slowly rot away in an asylum.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I've only played it once or twice, and never for a whole campaign.
  • The biggest difference is that characters die. Often...Though, there used to be an old quirk in the game system where if you had were scrawny you could survive having all of your limbs removed but not if you were muscular!...Even a well played CoC character is doomed. They may not die from a Mythos encounter but may instead slowly rot away in an asylum.
    Sounds like a completely accurate representation of Lovecraft Mythos to me =)