This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mario Party 8

edited May 2007 in Video Games
Is anyone else getting ready for Mario Party 8?

I pre-ordered my copy last week (along with Pokemon Battle Revolution) and I will be ready on release day to have a Mario Party!

I notice they dropped back to four player for the Wii game. I thought they might try something with 8 players by having one player use the nunchuk but it looks like they decided against it.

Comments

• I have to wait and see. Mario Party is really fun, but it just takes too long to play. If they make some sort of quick-play mode, or some way to skip the useless animations, I might get it.

This is a problem I have with many games lately, especially Pokemon. Don't make me wait for nothing! If I select "bubble beam" make the result instant. Don't make the other Pokemon blink. Don't have a one second delay. Don't show the enemy life bar going down slowly. Don't give me any text. Just immediately display the result. When I say immediately, I mean immediately. The only limiting factor in how quickly I can finish a Pokebattle should be how fast I can navigate the menus.

The same goes for Mario Party. Don't waste time with the characters walking around the map. Don't waste time with the dice rolling. Any part of the game that does not require player input should be immediately skipped over.
  • In regards to Pokemon: you can go into the option menu to speed up the text and turn off battle animations.

I must say that Pokemon Diamond and Pearl are faster than the GBA games. I've been going back to Ruby this past week and the screens are just so slow compared to Pearl!
  • True, but with battle animations off, I think that the GBA versions are faster.

The health goes down quicker anyway ;)
  • In regards to Pokemon: you can go into the option menu to speed up the text and turn off battle animations.

I must say that Pokemon Diamond and Pearl are faster than the GBA games. I've been going back to Ruby this past week and the screens are just so slow compared to Pearl!
    I know you can turn these things off. It still isn't fast enough. I basically want it to be so fast that I am constantly choosing menu options. The only limitation on how long the battle takes should be the speed at which I can input my moves.
  • I agree with the overall speed issue. Right now it takes me 20 minutes to do my berry farming. That is between flying, biking and the horribly slow process of picking/planting berries! At least they fixed the watering part so you can water a whole string of plants quickly.
  • I agree with the overall speed issue. Right now it takes me 20 minutes to do my berry farming. That is between flying, biking and the horribly slow process of picking/planting berries! At least they fixed the watering part so you can water a whole string of plants quickly.
    I'm only really complaining about the combat. The combat is basically the main part of the game. Not only do I have to do it, it's sort of the whole point. It would actually be some of the best RPG combat out there, if it didn't waste my time with useless delays. There's a useless delay of almost half a second after I select a menu item and before the menu appears. Also, even with text on fast, it still isn't fast enough. That doesn't even take into account that the text is useless to me, and I don't even want to see it in the first place.

Everything else in the game, like contests and berry farming, I just ignore. It's not worth it. Giving my Pokemon items like quick claw or dread plate is way better than giving a berry. Also, most berries make useless poffins, so I don't care. At first I was watering plants. Now I just clear-cut any berry bushes I see.
  • edited May 2007
    Don't be so quick to dismiss berries. There are some new ones that will reduce the effectiveness of an opponent's super effective attack.

Look at the evolved form of Turtwig. As a Ground/Grass type his biggest weakness comes from Flying types. If you give him a berry that makes Flying attacks lose their super effective bonus I'd consider that far better than a battle item that gives him a 10% bonus on grass attacks.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Don't be so quick to dismiss berries. There are some new ones that will reduce the effectiveness of an opponent's super effective attack.

Look at the evolved form of Turtwig. As a Ground/Grass type his biggest weakness comes from Flying types. If you give him a berry that makes Flying attacks lose their super effective bonus I'd consider that far better than a battle item that gives him a 10% bonus on grass attacks.
    But doesn't the berry only work once?
  • When you do wi-fi battles the berries are not consumed.

Another trick is to use the berry that ups your speed. In the opening of the battle you use Endure. The other guy pummels you to 1 HP. The berry kicks in and you are now super fast so you attack with Endeaver. You keep using Endeaver against every Pokemon they send (unless it is Ghost type) and they are dead.

At this point I have at least 25 of every berry I have. Sometimes (if you do it right) a berry bush can drop 10 berries when you go to pick them.
    It would be helpful if the game told me that. I guess I'll have to get 6 of each useful berry now. That's fine. I've got so many from clear-cutting, I don't need to grow many more. However, I suspect I might have to hit up that free berry man to get the types I'm missing.
    It would be helpful if the game told me that. I guess I'll have to get 6 of each useful berry now. That's fine. I've got so many from clear-cutting, I don't need to grow many more. However, I suspect I might have to hit up that free berry man to get the types I'm missing.
    The general rule is that if you can not gain EXP from a battle it will not consume your held items.
  • Check the lady in the house far west in Pastoria City.

She gives one rare berry a day. The Berry master only gave me crap so far.
  • WHY DOES EVEY FUCKING THREAD TURING INTO FUCKING POKEMON!? Seriously, guys. We need to start enforcing some "staying on topic" rules.
  • WHY DOES EVEY FUCKING THREAD TURING INTO FUCKING POKEMON!? Seriously, guys. We need to start enforcing some "staying on topic" rules.
    We could go back to every thread devolving into hungryjoe and HMTKSteve having a flamewar if you prefer :)
  • I am with HMTKSteve here I prefer Pokemon 100 time more than flamewars, also pokemon is teh awesome :P
    We could go back to every thread devolving into hungryjoe and HMTKSteve having a flamewar if you prefer :)
    Alright, you got me there.
  • super paper mario
  • super paper mario
    Ummm...what?
  • I have to wait and see. Mario Party is really fun, but it just takes too long to play. If they make some sort of quick-play mode, or some way to skip the useless animations, I might get it.

This is a problem I have with many games lately, especially Pokemon. Don't make me wait for nothing! If I select "bubble beam" make the result instant. Don't make the other Pokemon blink. Don't have a one second delay. Don't show the enemy life bar going down slowly. Don't give me any text. Just immediately display the result. When I say immediately, I mean immediately. The only limiting factor in how quickly I can finish a Pokebattle should be how fast I can navigate the menus.

The same goes for Mario Party. Don't waste time with the characters walking around the map. Don't waste time with the dice rolling. Any part of the game that does not require player input should be immediately skipped over.
    I have this problem with so many games. RPGs and their little animations before battles, text with non-adjustable speed and no push-button skip features, and all that mess make it hard to play some games for too long in any one period. All these years I thought I was just an impatient bastard, it's good to know there's at least one other who has the same experiences.

In the case of Pokemon, if they would just put in a short- or no-animation toggle, it would be so much easier to take.

• In the case of Pokemon, if they would just put in a short- or no-animation toggle, it would be so much easier to take.
    There is a no animation toggle and the text speed is adjustable. That's the problem. It still isn't fast enough.