This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

questions of the show

edited April 2006 in GeekNights
me and my dad are making a bet RYM. Is that your real name or did you get it from ryan which is my name. my dads beting the ryan part and i'm beting the rym part

Comments

• Nope on both parts. (Has inside knowledge)
  • Rym is a name I've used for the last 15 or so years. It came from "kmrym," which itself came from a dream I had when I was young. I'd awakened one night and proceded to scribble three words on a pad of paper before falling back to sleep. The first was kmrym or kyrym. The second and third were immemorable.

When I was in middle school, I needed a name to use online, and it instantly sprung to mind. I dropped the "k" just to make it easier to say/scribe.
    It seemed to fit me rather well, and by high school it was my de facto name as far as the majority of the people I knew were concerned.

The only people on Earth who don't call me "Rym" are my parents and my co-workers, though even my parents use it from time to time. I consider it to be my real name, and I'm seriously entertaining the idea of legally changing it.

My given first name is Brandon. It's been so long that I often don't respond immediately to it, even at work. As such, I tend to jump at that name, simply because the only people who ever use it are co-workers (who want something) or professors (who were usually yelling at me for sleeping in class ^_~).

I've told a few other stories about where the name came from in the past, mostly to avoid having to explain the truth. (People always ask what the dream was about or what the other words were or all sorts of annoying questions).
  • So what was the dream about? What were the other words? I HAVE TO KNOW!!!!!!!

; )
  • Did it involve a giant crayfish/Fat Bastard yelling out "Get in mah belly!" as you flounder in a canal, until you are saved by the Samura Youth Brigade?
  • I can tell you that the second word was a k followed by something unintelligible (kolanar? kolander?). The third word was wholly unintelligible. ^_~
  • What posses you to get up durring the night to write 3 words down you heard in a dream?
  • It was a particularly vivid dream that awakened me with a start.
  • edited May 2006
    I find it difficult for me to remember my dreams. People always tell me that I have dreams, and this is the case, but i feel i just dont dream. I physically cannot remember any dreams i have had in a long time...like my whole 18 years of exsistence.

Maybe i just do not have a soul haha ; )
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I actually used to have lucid dreams with some regularity. When I was very young, I looked forward to sleep just so that I could dream ^_^

If you want to remember your dreams, I suggest the following:

1) Keep a pad and paper on your nightstand. Try to write down anything you remember upon awakening.

2) Set your alarm earlier periodically. You're much more likely to remember a dream if you're awakened during it.
  • Damn it Scott!

Haha

I actually tried that but I was never able to remember to write down what happened, if I could remember at all. :(
  • i'd get arrested if i wrote the things I saw in my dream down. TV has ruined me. =(
  • My dreams are always either replays of relationships I've had with people durning the day or me killing evil people and monsters. For some reason I never get scared in my dreams even though I would be scared in real life.
  • When I was young I suffered from cronic nightmares. Even since I was 7 I've have had the must F*&$ed up dreams and nightmares. Oh course now I'm so used to them that I just roll over and go back to sleep.

There are thee that are reacurring that just won't go away.

Hey Rym, maybe you guys should do an ep about dreams.
  • Hmm.. It's an interesting idea, but I'm not much of an expert on the subject, and many of the studies about it are inconclusive.
  • Yes, dreams are a difficult area for us to talk about. It is a topic which science can't easily study because we do not yet fully understand the workings of the brain. Too much of the information out there is either uninteresting science or bullshit. If there are any scientific breakthroughs dealing with dreams we'll try to talk about it.
  • Instead of dreams...how about an ep about how not to suck at sleep? Seriously, think about it. How many people out there have bad sleep habits. You could give your fellow Otaku advice on how to get a good nights sleep. :)
  • Step one: sleep when you're tired.
    Step two: don't sleep when you're not tired.

There's really nothing more to it than that...
  • I bow down to your superior knowledge.
  • As a corollary:

Benadryl and Sudaphed, with their powers combined, have the ability to disrupt this cycle in unexpected ways...

I've never been that -awake- while sleeping before, and now I'm not sure if I'm tired or not.
  • Eating and drinking have the same rule. Eat/drink when hungry/thirsty. Don't eat/drink when not hungry/thirsty.
  • You ask what would possess a guy to get up at night and write down dreams? This is the behavior you ask about? What about doing a podcast 4 nights a week, playing board games and watching anime instead of chasing girls? Once you get past all that, I would think dream recording is rather mainstream. ;)

And I'm thankfull that he spends all his time doing that by the way, because it gives me 4 hours plus a week of great, free entertainment.
  • Hell, i usually remember my dreams, i also have a few recurring nightmares, allthough that dosn't happen as much now.

Some of my reccuring themes are being blind while stuff trys to attack me, and i can't fight back (not nice)
    And being in fights were you try to punch someone but your fist stops or goes really slowly. (i hear this is quite common)

It might make you laugh to know when i was about 6 or so i used to suffer from loads and loads of nightmares, but i managed to develop a strategy for getting out of them: If you focus you can be aware you are in a dream and its not RL, you can then manipulate the dream. My thought process used to be something like:
    Ok, so theres stuff trying to kill me, this is a dream
    Ok, lets wake me up.
    To 'escape' i used to.. wait for it
    Count to three but with each new number i would press a button on an imaginary keyboard. My three buttons were..

1.Ctrl
    2.Alt
    3.Escape! lol
    I allways find it strange why it was escape and never delete, but at that point on the third press i would allways manage to open my eyes
  • "What about doing a podcast 4 nights a week, playing board games and watching anime instead of chasing girls? "

As anyone who knows me can attest, there's no instead there. ^_~
  • Man whore.
  • Any one can chase girls. The true skill is getting girls to chase you.
  • It's far better for both genders to just pursue, rather than try to be pursued. If you wait around, you won't get what you want.

For the most part. Rym, I think, by virtue of his overwhelming charisma, has gotten girls to chase him.

Bastard.
  • It's good to pursue at first then back off and see what happens. Just make sure you make a good impression. Act like you can get involved in any conversation and walk off and join a new crowd. The girl might just come along.