This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What you do you mean I have to rebuy a game I already own?

edited May 2007 in Video Games
Link

Apparently Valve is going to make you rebuy HL:2 and Ep 1 if you want to play TF:2, Portal, and Ep 2.

Not cool Valve!

Comments

• edited May 2007
    Link Apparently Valve is going to make you rebuy HL:2 and Ep 1 if you want to play TF:2, Portal, and Ep 2. Not cool Valve!Buried as innacurate. While it is true they will not be selling the black box in stores, you can still purchase the equivalent of the orange box directly through Steam. Even if you do purchase the orange box in stores, it comes with three separate software keys. One key will be for HL2, one will be for HL2: Episode 1, and the third key will be for Portal, episode 2, and TF2. If you only want to buy the three new games, and you buy it in stores, you can sell or give away the keys to the old games that you aren't going to use.Personally, I agree with Valve 100% that this is a good thing. The only people who should be buying these games in stores are people who are not already Steam users. Anyone who already owns these games is a Steam user. This will encourage people who are already using Steam to purchase new games through steam if they are not already doing so. If you already have HL2, why would you want to buy a box of CDs from the local store in order to play TF2? You can just download it as soon as it is released.Valve isn't screwing anyone over. They're just creating confusion amongst the idiots who do not realize that buying a PC game in a physical store is an obsolete idea.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Ahhh makes sense. I wasn't planning on buying it in the stores anyways. I just didn't know if the box packages would be the same ones you would have to purchase on Steam.
  • Now, I don't own HL2 and I probably won't because I don't care much for FPS games, but I'm on dialup, as I have lamented before, and I can't download a full game off Steam, so something like this would screw me over big time if I had previously purchased HL2.
  • Now, I don't own HL2 and I probably won't because I don't care much for FPS games, but I'm on dialup, as I have lamented before, and I can't download a full game off Steam, so something like this would screw me over big time if I had previously purchased HL2.
    No it would not. If you only have dial-up, then you honestly can't play these games at all. First off, TF2 is just a multiplayer game, so you couldn't even play it without getting a real connection. Additionally, even if I gave you Portal on a CD, which is a single-player game, you would not be able to download the patches or the updates to Steam in order to get the game going. Personally, I have no problem with this. Requiring a decent Internet connection is no different than having minimum hardware requirements for CPU, RAM, or video card.

No it would not. If you only have dial-up, then you honestly can't play these games at all. First off, TF2 is just a multiplayer game, so you couldn't even play it without getting a real connection. Additionally, even if I gave you Portal on a CD, which is a single-player game, you would not be able to download the patches or the updates to Steam in order to get the game going. Personally, I have no problem with this. Requiring a decent Internet connection is no different than having minimum hardware requirements for CPU, RAM, or video card.

I fully agree with Scott. Whats the point having a badass system, but then having a shit internet connection.
  • I agree as well. If you plan to game online at all, even if it's just Warcraft 3 or good old Starcraft, your ass better have something better than dial-up. NOBODY can successfully use dialup for gaming anymore. Games are too beefy.