This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon Battle Discussion Thread

edited May 2007 in Video Games
I'm starting this as a place to begin discussing the details of Pokemon battling.

For suggested reading I think all potential trainers should read this article on Pokemon Tiers

I know that most of you are blind to the notion of EV/IV points. That is fine, you should not be blind to the idea of tiers though.

I suggest we set some ground rules for our FRC battle challenges. We can use the tier system as listed above as a guidline but we should not feel limited by it.

One tier I offer is that of the "baby tier". In this grouping we would all be limited to Pokemon who are freshly hatched. The only thing that will set your Pokemon apart is your ability as a breeder (or TM purchaser) to get the right moves on a Pokemon without getting that Pokemon any levels.

Obviously this tier would preclude all legendaries except Manaphy. Well, it sort of does preclude Manaphy because the moves he hatches with are about useless compared to the ones he gains later.

This tier also eliminates any need to look at IV/EV points. Even breeding for max IV points will only give you a (maybe) one point stat advantage. The key to this tier will be getting the proper move set on your Pokemon.

Comments

• I'm starting this as a place to begin discussing the details of Pokemon battling.

For suggested reading I think all potential trainers should read this article onPokemon Tiers

I know that most of you are blind to the notion of EV/IV points. That is fine, you should not be blind to the idea of tiers though.

I suggest we set some ground rules for our FRC battle challenges. We can use the tier system as listed above as a guidline but we should not feel limited by it.

One tier I offer is that of the "baby tier". In this grouping we would all be limited to Pokemon who are freshly hatched. The only thing that will set your Pokemon apart is your ability as a breeder (or TM purchaser) to get the right moves on a Pokemon without getting that Pokemon any levels.

Obviously this tier would preclude all legendaries except Manaphy. Well, it sort of does preclude Manaphy because the moves he hatches with are about useless compared to the ones he gains later.

This tier also eliminates any need to look at IV/EV points. Even breeding for max IV points will only give you a (maybe) one point stat advantage. The key to this tier will be getting the proper move set on your Pokemon.
    But everyone will have practically the same stats.
  • Similar stats but different Pokemon. Different Pokemon will lead to different types being used that are not normally used.
  • The tried and true standard for pokemon battling is:

No Ubers
    No evasion raising moves
    No 1 hit KO moves
    Species Clause
    Sleep Clause

It's frowned upon if you use uber level pokemon without telling your opponent, and you'll be DQ'd in most fan held tournaments. Evasion basically drags out games for too long because it's something both players will abuse. 1 hit KO moves are extremely luck based which is frustrating to say the least when your pokemon loses to a pokemon it should be able to beat. Species Clause is there to prevent the same pokemon with different move sets to be on the same team. Sleep Clause means that only one pokemon at a time can be put to sleep. The game gets really old really fast if all of your pokemon are put to sleep, and you get to sit there while they all die.

The guidelines I listed are the understood rules of pokemon battling. You should ask your opponent if you want to do something different, and if you enter a tournament then follow their rules.
  • I say if it's in the game, it's in the game. The restrictions set by the cups in the game are all that is necessary to make the game fair. Even if something is cheap, like uber Pokemon, it is available to both players. If you choose not to use the best of what is available to you, you have only yourself to blame when you lose to someone who does.
  • I say if it's in the game, it's in the game. The restrictions set by the cups in the game are all that is necessary to make the game fair. Even if something is cheap, like uber Pokemon, it is available to both players. If you choose not to use the best of what is available to you, you have only yourself to blame when you lose to someone who does.

The cups are the way to go but, as even you guys admit during the podcast last night, great gaming comes about by working with restrictions and rules.

You can create alternate cups by changing the restrictions.
    The cups are the way to go but, as even you guys admit during the podcast last night, great gaming comes about by working with restrictions and rules. You can create alternate cups by changing the restrictions.
    That's fine. I just oppose the idea that somehow alternate cups are necessary for fairness.

The cups are the way to go but, as even you guys admit during the podcast last night, great gaming comes about by working with restrictions and rules. You can create alternate cups by changing the restrictions.
    That's fine. I just oppose the idea that somehow alternate cups are necessary for fairness.
    Ah, no, it's not about fairness (alternate cups). The tier system is about fairness in that you give your oppoent an overall indicator of what to expect. If you are playing "anything goes" then do not be surprised if you face off against a team of super legendaries. Which is fine if that is what you were expecting. It's not so fine if you are using the more common Pokemon.
    Ah, no, it's not about fairness (alternate cups). The tier system is about fairness in that you give your oppoent an overall indicator of what to expect. If you are playing "anything goes" then do not be surprised if you face off against a team of super legendaries. Which is fine if that is what you were expecting. It's not so fine if you are using the more common Pokemon.
    You know what the rules are going in. Always expect the worst.
  • edited May 2007
    If you want free for all battling then say you're using ubers.

You've never played competitive pokemon so I'm going to cut you some slack. Trust me.
    Post edited by Railith on