This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

" . . . I have half a mind . . . "

edited May 2007 in Everything Else
Please forgive me if you've seen this before, but apparently a person can lose half their brain and still retain their personality.

Comments

• I guess that's...cool.
  • ...no way.

I do recall seeing a documentary about a woman who underwent a procedure for one reason or another that seperated the two halves of her brain. Didn't remove them though. Sounds like it was a functional hemispherectomy. She ended up developing two independent personalities. There's no mention of that side effect in the article or on the wiki page though so I suppose that could have been independent of the operation, or it was a different operation all together.

You seriously have to wonder about this Walter Dandy fellow. The hell kind of person thinks "You know what'd be a good idea? Taking half of someone BRAIN out of their head. :D"
  • There was a girl who had half her brain removed at an early age and instead of vegetating the other half grew (though probably using existing tissue, brain cells cant multiply) to make the connections and she was able to lead a relatively normal life.