This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Civilization 4

edited June 2007 in Video Games
I've had this game for a while, put it down a couple months ago and recently picked it back up. I haven't played any Civilization games since the original DOS version, but I feel that Civ 4 carries on the name in a great way, albiet I have no frame of reference because Civ 2 was the best one from what I hear. After hearing Rym state that he wanted to pick it up recently on a podcast, I thought it would be a good time to discuss the game here and maybe organize a game at some point.

Comments

• There are some cool mods out for Civ 4. I got one called Rhye's and Fall of Civilization. Basically it follows the actual history of the world so what Civ you pick dictates when you start your game. So if you start as one of the early Civs you'll likely have a good amount of control and Tech after a while, but depending on the area you are in its very likely other Civs will start infringing on your territory. And when those new Civs come in they usually have a good amount of modern (for whatever time period they are in) units and a couple settlers.

Also they use every Civ, so there are a ton of players, which makes it really interesting.
  • I know at least three of you guys play this game, would any (Read: all.) of you be interested in playing a collective game anytime soon?
  • I am ALWAYS willing to play a game of Civ if I have the time.. (I only have Beyond the Sword installed right now)
  • edited January 2010
    I will if I can get it to run in Ubuntu (I have Civ 4 and Warlords).
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I am ALWAYS willing to play a game of Civ if I have the time.. (I only have Beyond the Sword installed right now)
    Me too (on both counts)
    I will if I can get it to run in Ubuntu (I have Civ 4 and Warlords).
    Ok cool.

When will everyone like to play? (I know some of you haven't posted yet.)
  • I'm game. I'm free mainly Monday and Tuesday nights, as well as all Friday through Sunday.
  • I would be interested in an play by email game, as I am never awake during American evenings.
  • Looks like we'll be playing on the weekend. We need to find out how who has the best connection for hosting it as well as what time to play. We may very well need a lot of time, Civilization games can be quite grueling. Unless one of the other players steamrolls us, we might have to plan to be there a few hours. I think about 6:00 PM Eastern on Saturday maybe?
    Player List : Asnabel, Cremlian, Gunter?, Nelson, ElJoe0(v2.8)?
  • Player List : Asnabel, Cremlian, Gunter, Nelson, ElJoe0(v2.8)?
    I can't get Civ 4 to run. I might find an unexpected fix, but I'm doubtful.
  • 6pm EST on Saturday sounds WUNDERBAR!
  • I can make it, just need to make sure to get my Dad to keep the internet connection in my room on.
  • I'll see you all tomorrow.
  • edited January 2010
    Only a hour and a half to go, shall I start a Skype chat for the duration if the game?
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • edited January 2010
    Probably. I've got it. Joe, accept my contact request.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • ETA 35 minutes.
  • I'm getting on skype chat. What version of the game are we playing? BTS?
  • Beyond The Sword, I wonder if ScoJo will show up.
  • edited January 2010
    Anyone who can join is welcome to.
    Game: FRCF Game
    Password: scrym
  • Well I was unfortunately looking for a plug for a wok and I also realized I didn't actually have Civ IV: BTS installed on the computer yet.
  • edited January 2010
    How long is it going to take to install? Also, get on Skype.
  • Before we destroy Japan again!
  • I like me some Civ IV.
  • How did that game finish, sorry I dropped out so suddenly, my laptop overheated and auto shutdown and I felt so tired I just fell asleep.
  • Tee hee vassal state.
  • Tee hee vassal state.
    You're such a bastard.
  • We should do that again, except play the faster rate game from the start,
  • I'd be in for the next game.
  • It was kinda Geekchat/Civ 4, lots of fun.
  • I've got time to play again today, but I understand that this would be super-short notice.
  • I think it is kinda irresponsible to spend all night on Civ when I have school tomorrow.