This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

RAID: Is it good and How to do it

edited June 2007 in Everything Else
I am currently considering implementing RAID 1 on my primary drive as a precaution. Both drives are the same size and one is in use, the other is empty and unformatted.

My question is two fold:

1. How effective is RAID? I am looking to do this so I don't have to backup my 300GB hard drive constantly (although a good 50-100 of that is probably windows and programs which wouldn't get backed up if I did it manually). Also ,if something were to go wrong and I needed to reformat a partition because say windows died (or the unlikely event that I decide to go to Vista AKA Vista becomes good or unavoidable), could I use the second drive for a backup or would the RAID live-overwrite and likewise die?

2. How would I go about implementing the RAID?

Side Question (for confirmation): I have 3 partitions on each of my disks, for a total of 6 partitions at this time. If windows needed to be redone as above, could I transfer things to other partitions on the same drive and reformat the one partition without causing trouble to the others? While I was at it, I would probably give windows its own system partition by itself, so how big do you think would be good for a windows only partition (plus stuff that absolutely must be in C:, like some motherboard drivers)?

Comments

• RAID 1 is very simple. You have two drives that are exact and perfect copies of each other. If one of the drives dies, then the other drive will work on its own, and you will be able to use your computer. If you replace the broken drive, it will be rebuilt and some time later will be an exact copy of the working drive. You can also do RAID 1 with more than two drives. You can have 6 drives where three drives are copies of the other three drives. It works in exactly the same way.
    As for how to set it up and partition it, that is a topic for a Monday show.
  • I too am interested in this topic...bring on the Monday show! :D