This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Skype 1.4 Beta for Linux.

edited June 2007 in Everything Else
Skype just released a new beta version for Linux. And there's still no Skypecast support. Other than a new GUI, it's basically the same. I fail to see why Skypecast support for Linux is so difficult. If I can do it manually, it really shouldn't be that difficult to make it automatic!

It's worth downloading anyway if you're on Linux. But it's not the Skype version you've been waiting for.

Comments

• I'm using it, and it is a lot more than a GUI update. However, the GUI update is very very nice. The first thing I notice is that it actually supports selection of audio input and output devices properly. Second thing I notice is that there is no longer a bug where Skype prevents you from logging out of Gnome properly. Also, this client now has better integration with Skype's pay services like voice mail and such. Oh, and it is now easier to start conference calls, if not Skypecasts.

The reason it is hard to make Skypecasts work in Linux is this. You know in Windows you go to the horrible File Types dialog box? In that dialog box you can associate different actions on different file types with different programs? You can say the default program for editing .txt files is notepad.exe and the default program for viewing .html files is firefox.exe. Well, in that dialog box you can also associate different programs with different protocols. You can tell Windows that the default program to handle the ftp:// protocol is ws_ftp.exe, etc. The way Skypecasts work is Windows associates the skype:// protocol with the Skype client.

Linux does not have such a thing. The only way to get this sort of thing to work in Linux is through the browser. Firefox has the ability to associate different protocols like itunes:// with different applications. It is possible to, in Firefox, associate Skype:// with the Skype client. However, the Skype client has to be able to be setup to handle the information from Firefox, however Firefox passes it. I have yet to test this. Of course, there is no way to guarantee the user is using Firefox. The Skype client has to be prepared to deal with any browser, Konqueror, old Mozilla, Epiphany, Opera, lynx, etc. Thus, starting Skypecasts from a link on a web page becomes difficult. If you'll notice, there are basically no desktop applications in Linux that can be controlled by clicking links on web pages. It is technologically feasible to accomplish this feat with some use of dbus, but I do not think it is high on anyone's list.

In the end, I think what Skype just really needs to do is put the phone number visibly on the Skypecast web page to make copying and pasting easier. That would be enough.
  • edited June 2007
    Oh, I see. Back when I was trying to find a site that told me how I could get Skypecasts to work in Linux, one page instructed me to add a protocol like that to Firefox. I tried it, but it didn't work at all.

I too very much like the new GUI. Honestly, I haven't had a chance to play around with it to have found any other new things. I spent more time looking for release notes than actually using the new Skype. The release notes are nonexistent, by the by.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Oh, I see. Back when I was trying to find a site that told me how I could get Skypecasts to work in Linux, one page instructed me to add a protocol like that to Firefox. I tried it, but it didn't work at all.
    Yes, I am planning to try this to see if it works.
  • My only real gripe with Skype is the lack of recording support.  It's annoying to have to route the audio manually in order to record a conversation.
  • My only real gripe with Skype is the lack of recording support. It's annoying to have to route the audio manually in order to record a conversation.

Option 1: The Windows version of Skype has a recording add-on called Pamela that used to cost money, but now it's free. I've used it, it works fine.

Option 2: Gizmo.
  • Option 1: The Windows version of Skype has a recording add-on called Pamela that used to cost money, but now it's free. I've used it, it works fine.
    That isn't made by the Skype people, though. It's a third party application.
  • Option 1: The Windows version of Skype has a recording add-on called Pamela that used to cost money, but now it's free. I've used it, it works fine.
    That isn't made by the Skype people, though. It's a third party application.
    I realize this, but why does it matter besides the fact that Skype is too lazy to make their own?
  • WIth the shoddy permission schemes of Windows, I really don't trust installing third party programs, nor do I like the idea of having to install something like that simply to get what should be basic functionality out of something.  I also note that Pamela has "shady" written all over it.
    As for Gizmo, it has its own problems.  Skype is much more widely in use, and we can't be foisting our VOIP solution on the people we interview.
  • edited June 2007

I also note that Pamela has "shady" written all over it.

It's officially supported by Skype. But, it doesn't matter, I just looked it up and it's not free any more.

I used a program called Power Gramo a while ago which looks twice as shady as Pamela, but It works fine if you're ok with extremely shitty recording. This isn't a suggestion for GeekNights, just an aside.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • It's officially supported by Skype. But, it doesn't matter, I just looked it up and it's not free any more. I used a program calledPower Gramoa while ago which looks twice as shady as Pamela, but It works fine if you're ok with extremely shitty recordingTherein lies the problem.  It would be utterly trivial to offer recording capabilities in Skype.  They actively choose not to despite the clear demand for it.  There must be a reason.
    I believe that they're either getting kickbacks from the "Record Skype $14" companies, or they're afraid of lawsuits arising from users illegally recording conversations without proper consent.  Either of those reasons bothers me.
  • Therein lies the problem.  It would be utterly trivial to offer recording capabilities in Skype.  They actively choose not to despite the clear demand for it.  There must be a reason.

I believe that they're either getting kickbacks from the "Record Skype $14" companies, or they're afraid of lawsuits arising from users illegally recording conversations without proper consent.  Either of those reasons bothers me.
    I don't really know much about audio programs, but why don't you just use Audacity to record? It seems easy enough, just set it to record from both your mic and the speakers.
  • I don't really know much about audio programs, but why don't you just use Audacity to record? It seems easy enough, just set it to record from both your mic and the speakers.

The answer is a little complicated.  I'll try to get to it after work, but you could find it out yourself by trying to do that and seeing what happens.