This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Symbolism in Anime

edited June 2007 in Anime
I hear a lot of talk from anime fans about the level of symbolism in anime. People tend to complain when there is too much symbolism, or if it's there only for the sake of being symbolism. I was wondering if you guys could give me some examples of which anime got the level of symbolism right and those who got it wrong. Also, what about symbolism, or what themes or levels of symbolism, do you find particularly off-putting, as opposed to levels, elements or themes that you particularly like?

Comments

• edited June 2007
    Symbolism is only bad when they hit you over the head with it. They make it so blaringly obvious that it becomes completely useless and completely dissolves any creativity that may have been there.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Even worse I say is if it's tacked on as an afterthought thinking the series will be "better" and "deeper" with it.
  • Wow, I've never heard of that, although I can see some references to current and past events in some of the more "serious" anime.

But I hope someone points some out, I'd like to hear about them.

Symbolism is only bad when they hit you over the head with it. They make it so blaringly obvious that it becomes completely useless and completely dissolves any creativity that may have been there.Tru dat.
  • Guitar = Penis.

"LoL"
  • Guitar = Penis.
    "You can't hit the ball if you don't swing the bat."
  • Guitar = Penis.
    Oh, here is where you're wrong.  A mere "equals" doesn't do the towering, pulsing phallic symbolism justice.  This is beyond mere simile or equation.  No, the guitar, nay Guitar, exhibits nothing short of pure, rapturous congruency with that which defines a man.  Or something.
  • Guitar = Penis.

Oh, here is where you're wrong. A mere "equals" doesn't do the towering, pulsing phallic symbolism justice. This is beyond mere simile or equation. No, the guitar, nay Guitar, exhibits nothing short of pure, rapturouscongruencywith that which defines a man. Or something.

That's a pretty lofty and cryptic statement, Rym. Tone down the symbolism.
  • My problem comes when people actually try to find symbolism where there is none... some people will go for hours explaining that the characters red handkerchief symbolizes the struggle at the moment and the blood of the forefathers blah blah... can't it just be that they had to color it some color? or that the author likes red? or that the designer decided that red went better with the characters blue coat?. People simply read too much into stuff sometimes.
  • My problem comes when people actually try to find symbolism where there is none... some people will go for hours explaining that the characters red handkerchief symbolizes the struggle at the moment and the blood of the forefathers blah blah... can't it just be that they had to color it some color? or that the author likes red? or that the designer decided that red went better with the characters blue coat?. People simply read too much into stuff sometimes.
    While this is true, if you actually listen to interviews with authors, some of them put in more symbolism than even the deepest diggers will find! Of course, situations where people find more than the author put in are equally numerous. Did you know Tolkien said he didn't mean anything in LotR other than the surface level story?
  • I didn't know (mainly because I haven't read any Tolkien book, nor am I familiar with the LotR dogma).

And yes, there are some really crazy directors there that put in their productions some really obscure stuff, like a movie easter egg. The thing is, we realize more of the first (people reading more into it) than the latter, simply because we don't even know the existence of the obscure directors symbolism.