This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Has anyone ever heard of any of these MMO's?

edited June 2007 in Role Playing Games
While wandering the internet I found these websites for free MMO's. I am kinda cautious about them and I have never heard of them. I was wondering if anyone here has.

http://flyff.gpotato.com/phpbb/index.php?c=2

http://www.download.com/Knight-Online/3000-7541_4-10619920.html?tag=toprated

They claim to be free MMO's but the last thing I want to do is to get into something like IMVU again. ::Shudders.:: If you think Myspace is shitty that place reeks. Put together Myspace with avatars and add the assholes from Halo and thats IMVU.

Comments

• If you like generic MMORPGs, then I'm sure you'll find no fault with those.
  • If you want to play an MMO then just play Warcraft because it's the best one currently out. Don't even bother with the "free" MMOs because they suck more than the pay to play ones.

Fly For Fun is total ass just like any mmo that you'll see advertised in a banner ad.
  • edited June 2007
    I played Knight Online for a long time; it's the equivalent of a K-Mart WoW but has some nice graphics. It has very few actual quests, and ultimately is just a grinder, but one very positive thing I can say for it is that the economy is excellent. You can set up a merchant to sell your wares and let it run. I had more fun as a seller than as a fighter, honestly.

I've kind of been craving a little MMO action lately, so if you decide to try Knight Online World, let me know. I'll join up with you and help you through it.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited June 2007
    Yea I would just get W.o.W or even just start gaming D & D or Burning Wheel. expect Except I have no time (which can be solved easily enough) and my computer sucks. At the moment I am using a Dell 2400, with only 256 ram and random Dell brand graphics card and not a lot. And The part that sucks is that short of putting better software on here I can't really do much else, so my attempt at any reputable M.M.O has failed greatly.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • If you HAVE to play a free MMO, try out Silkroad. Back in the day I searched and searched for a good free MMO and Silkroad is the only tolerable one in my opinion.
  • A group of my friends (who are, in general, a very suspicious bunch when it comes to games) are trying out Sword of the New World, which is having an open beta. Supposedly, after the beta, it's going to be free, and you pay for certain add-ons to your character.
  • The one thing I find bizarre about MMOs is how so many people play what is almost the same game in terms of gameplay.
  • Theres also this game called Eudemons that a friend of mine had played for quite sometime. Personally, if I am going to waste vast sums of time in an mmo, I'd like it to be subscription based because I don't feel any qualms with paying for a game to graphically look nice, and that it also is a stable platform.
  • I played Space Cowboy for a little bit. I'm not a big MMO player so I didn't stick with it, but it was pretty decent considering it was free.
  • Does anyone play eve online? I'm playing the trial right now. So far, it seems pretty cool, great graphics, but I don't know if it will get boring. Has anyone played this for a while?
  • I have an old Dell Dimension 2350 that I use for gaming, and let me tell you, it wasn't THAT bad. If you can afford to, put another 512 meg stick of ram in it, which is cheap as all hell, and you can play WoW and Guild Wars no problem. I did for 4 months or so until I could put a cheap PCI grpahics card in it.
  • I played Space Cowboy for a little bit. I'm not a big MMO player so I didn't stick with it, but it was pretty decent considering it was free.
    I also played Space Cowboy, but don't bother with it... the company sold the licence and then got a cease and desist from the buyer company. I play guild wars for about an hour a day, and for a game with no subscription fee it runs and plays on the level of WoW. Guild Wars isn't free exactly, but you can get the 1st campaign for $20-$30 or the platinum edition which is the 1st campaign and the Eye of the north expansion for about $40. I've invested about 1000 hours in it over the last 2 years and have had very few qualms about it.
  • I played flyff because of a girl I was very much lusting for. It is purely grinding. I mean I played for a week and 90% of the time I was grinding, 8% I was asking where to grind and how to do quests that were left unexplained by the NPCs, and 2% enjoying the game. It is a very generic MMORPG and the community is nothing to wave a stick at, but some like it.
  • I really liked a game called Star Sonata before I discovered it has a level 20 cap for free players, which kinda sucked. It's a 2D top down space trading/shooting/etc. game with a win condition; a player may become emperor and guide his or her ship to a certain location while being protected by friends (and also being attacked by a group of other people). There's lots of fun to be had.
  • If you're looking for a free MMO for the future, I've been keeping tabs on one called "Infinity: The Quest for Earth", which is a space MMO, that's going for a more 'realistic' take on the genre. They're going to try and make it a "do whatever you want and go wherever you want to go" game. So you'll be able to find a planet, that is randomly generated and basically take it over. There's a tech combat demo that was released that can be fun with a couple friends in with you.
    The only problem is the person making it is extremely busy, so it probably won't come out till the end of the year.
    I really started liking it when I saw the end of this video, demoing the physics engine.