This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Suggest a DS game

edited June 2007 in Video Games
I'm selling my copy of Puzzle Quest, and am going to buy a new DS game.

Puzzle Quest was really fun, but you eventually get to a point where you realize that you can only play Bejewelled so many times.

In general, I like games that you can pick up and play for 20 minutes. I'm not looking for something as involved as a Final Fantasy type game.

Tops on my list are Mario Kart and Clubhouse Games. I'm worried, though, that Clubhouse Games is a bunch of games that on their own would pretty much suck. In other words, that it's a chain made up of weak links.

I know next to nothing about Mario Kart. Normally, racing games are pretty boring to me. What about Mario Kart makes it so much fun?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Tetris?
  • Pokemon is fairly uninvolved in spirts. Advance Wars Dual Strike also allows you to save in the middle of a battle, so you can stop whenever you need to.
  • My suggestions:
    - Advance Wars: Dual Strike
    - Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
    - Phoenix Wright

Oh, and Animal Crossing's alright if you're into that kind of thing.
  • I have Phoneix Wright.

I loved it at first, but then I actually got kind of bored with it. The biggest problem was that it's not a great game to play in 15 minute installments.

I haven't tried Advance Wars, and it is pretty cheap now...
  • Advance Wars is fantastic.  It's tactical and strategic enough to be engaging, yet simple enough to not become overly tedious.  It's easy to pick right back up with a mission you'd started and forgotten long ago.   The suspend feature of the DS, plus its save system, make it generally excellent for short spurts of play.
    Castlevania DS is also excellent, good for short spurts of play, and fairly engaging.  It also happens to be similarly cheap now.
  • O.k., I'll add three more to the list:

1.Elite Beat Agents, kinda like DDR on the DS.

2.Brain Age or Brain Academy, general puzzles and the likes.

3.Konami Classics Series: Arcade Hits, it's like 10 games, but the Gradius, Contra and Circus Charlie alone are well worth it
  • I'll put forth Metroid Pinball if you're into that sort of thing. I dig pinball and metroid so I get a lot of intermittent joy out of this game.
  • I second the recommendations for Elite Beat Agents and any of the Brain Age games. They're quite fun!

I actually may pick up Pinball, I do dig that sort of thing.
  • The old versions of Metroid Pinball come with a rumble pack (that works with other games also)
  • My girlfriend bought a DS for Clubhouse Games. She says that the games vary in quality, although most are fairly enjoyable. The game is best when you have a second player via Download and Play. If someone else in your house hold has a DS, Clubhouse Games is a decent buy, especially for quick play.
  • Phoenix Wright, Pokemans: Pearl/Diamond, and Mario Kart are totally awesome.
  • Portrait of Ruin.
  • Advance Wars DS is great, however after a little while, it gets really hard (or maybe I just suck at it =P)
    Brain Age and Brain Academy are really fun for a decent amount of time.
    I love Tetris - I'll never get rid of that game.
    Final Fantasy III - for you RPG lovers out there.
    Etrian Odyssey - if you are a DnD fan, this is really fun.
    Wario Master of Disguise isn't too bad with lots of not-so fun minigames and a few fun minigames.
    Touch the Dead hurts my hands because I play it so much - gotta love those zombie titles.
    Mario & Luigi Partners in Time - for you Mario and RPG lovers.
    Kirby Squeak Squad is very reminiscent of the old Game Boy Kirbys
    Mario Kart DS is great, great, great, but mostly for multiplayer capabilities.
    And of course, the New Super Mario Bros. is a great addition to the Mario sidescrollers.
  • I recently got hotel dusk, its a pretty good game to play if you can spare 10 minutes a day on it.
  • Portrait of Ruin.
    I think DS was much better than PR, to be honest.
  • I recently got hotel dusk, its a pretty good game to play if you can spare 10 minutes a day on it.
    I'm going to have to oppose that statement. You really need to spend a good 45 min to and hour to get anything done in that game. The text is really slow and often a single conversation with a character can take up to 10 minutes.
    I'm going to have to oppose that statement. You really need to spend a good 45 min to and hour to get anything done in that game. The text is really slow and often a single conversation with a character can take up to 10 minutes.
    It's also one of those games that you will play once and never play again.
  • edited June 2007
    I haven't had a chance to play Dawn of Sorrow yet...I have Aria and I want to play and finish it first before moving on to Dawn. But I'm glad it's better than Portrait because I really enjoyed that game.
    Post edited by zombie a gogo on
  • Portrait of Ruin.

I think DS was much better than PR, to be honest.

Thank you. I was agonizing over the two at Gamestop last week. Now I know, and that's half the battle. Yo Joe.
  • I finished Hotel Dusk. I've always been a fan of adventure games, but I found this one to be fairly tedious.

I'm bummed that Tank Beat is getting such poor reviews.
  • I recommend an often overlooked title called Lunar Knights. It's a fun little action RPG with an anime vibe. Basically your a vampire hunter in a sci-fi future, it's pretty cool. Look it up on IGN or Gamespot.
  • Ahh... the joys of living in a rural area.

Having just sold my copy of Puzzle Quest for the DS, I had an urge today to go out and buy a new game. The only problem is that there are no stores that carry video games in my town. The nearest is Wal-Mart, and that's about 30 minutes away. After that, it's about a 2 hour drive to the nearest toy/game store.

Normally I order things online, but I figured I would try the local consignment store to see if they had any deals. They carry a very small selection of used games.

And what did I see? Heavily used games were going for near (or at) full retail. There was a copy of Nintendogs for $30! The only arguable bargain was a copy of Advance Wars Dual Strike for $20. For some reason, this title has become very expensive. Most resellers want $40 and up and it's pretty impossible to find new. As much as I'm interested, I'm afraid that I'll have the same experience I had with Age of Empires. I loved Age of Empires at first, but then got really sick of it when the battles became more complicated. The problem was that the game was no longer fun to play in 15 minute increments.

I'm still leaning heavily towards Mario Kart. Thanks for the suggestions... I've already played many of them, but there are some new ones that I'm going to check out.
  • Nelson says: Ha-ha. Vermont is rural.