This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GH2 or DDR?

edited June 2007 in Video Games
Big thanks go out to Rym and Scott for talking about DDR so enthusiastically. This past weekend I was able to find Mario Mix DDR and a compatible mat for the Cube (although I played it on the Wii...thereby making it the best game on the Wii right now ;) ).

The wife and I played the crap out of that game, beating it 3 times, unlocking all the songs (28), and all the mini-games in about 4-5 hours. We had an absolute blast, after which I got up Sunday morning and returned both the game and the mat and got my money back. What can I say...beating the entire game in one go in the manner we did, failed to impress me.

That being said I now face a crossroads. See, I own a 360, and there exists a Guitar Hero 2 and a DDR for the system. Now I'm unsure which would get more use, Guitar Hero 2 has a certain allure because of Trogdor, but pouncing on arrows seems a fair bit simpler than dealing with the whole guitar thing.

Opinions?

Comments

• DDR has more staying power, and has the added element of EXERCISE. ^_~  Your calves will be pretty rock solid after a few months of daily DDR.
  • The reason you thwomped DDR Mario Mix so quickly is because it is an easy DDR. It doesn't have the advanced modes of play or the difficult stages. Also, it's a GameCube DDR game which means it is not capable of holding that many different songs on the disc. The 360 version of DDR, DDR Universe, has a much longer songlist. It also has much more difficult modes of play. It will literally take you years to get good enough to beat some of the harder songs on the harder settings. Also, even if you get bored with the songs in DDR Universe, there are three DDR games for the original XBox you can play and a downloadable pack of more songs. DDR Mario Mix just barely scratches the surface of DDR. If you are enjoying it, you really have to go all in. Of course, even the 360 version doesn't come close to the arcade experience.

As for Guitar Hero, it's just as awesome as DDR in every way. It's a different rhythm game, but it is just as fun, has just as much replay value, etc. Personally, I would just buy both. You really can't go wrong. That way, whether you are in the mood to get hot and sweaty you can dance it up, but you can also rock out.
  • Thanks for the input guys! I think I'll be leaning towards DDR first. I'm wanting GH2 as well but I just can't swing the cash for both at once. It certainly helps that Rockband is coming soon as well as potential GH sequels. Oh and the excercise thing certainly crossed my mind. ;)
  • Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s [wiki] will be coming out shortly. GH3 is also scheduled for the end of the year. That's two Guitar Hero games in the next four months . . . I can hardly contain myself.