This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A moving Solar System: A cause for Global Warming?

edited June 2007 in Everything Else
An article recently appeared stating that our solar system was not originally assembled in the Milky Way galaxy, but the Sagittarius Dwarf galaxy. They use this new discovery to explain global warming, saying that the energy levels in the two galaxies are different, therefore the shift between the two would cause a significant climate change.

I'm pretty skeptical about this article, and I hope The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe will cover it next week. But in the meantime, what do you think?

Comments

• edited June 2007
    I could be wrong but doesn't it take a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time for a solar system to move from one galaxy to another? How far apart are these galaxies now and when were they last close enough to swap solar systems?

I just read the article...

The article appears sound on my first reading but I will need more data to think about this. For one thing I would like them to provide dates for when we began to merge, etc...
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I call bullshit on this one. We know where we are located and where we have been on an atronomical plane, and at the same time we have seen a measurable difference in climate change in the past several decades.
  • It kind of makes sense to me in a way. But still, at astronomical speeds, the change would not be nearly great enough to match the Earth's temperature increase. But the more important thing about Global Warming is this: what are we going to do to keep the icecaps from melting and killing over two-thirds of us, anyway?
  • Has anyone admitted that the real problem is that the Earth is trying to balance things out by killing us off? We're concerned about Global Warming not for the planet's sake but for ours. That doesn't make it less important...just less valiant. The Earth is a system of balances and it always works...we're trying to fuck with things and it's not working. Heh...we're so fucked.