This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Idea for a sticky: What are you into right now?

I have an idea for a sticky in which members of the forums could post what they are into right now, in terms of books, TV shows, movies, games, etc. It would give members a chance to see what others are enjoying and allow us to explore some new things that we may not have heard of or considered before.

Your thoughts on this idea?

I'll start us off:

Books: 1) H.P. Lovecraft's Favorite Weird Tales, 2) Overclocked: Stories of the Future Present
TV: 1) John from Cincinnati, 2) Doctor Who, 3) Kyle XY (ok, stop laughing), 4) The Shield
Movies: 1) The Abandoned, 2) Dead Silence, 3) Hot Fuzz
Games: 1) Shadowrun, 2) Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, 3) F.E.A.R., 4) Bejeweled 2, 5) S.T.A.L.K.E.R., 6) Punch-Out
Music - Soilwork, Killswitch Engage, In Flames, Ra

Comments

• I quite like this idea. Here's my list:

Books: 1) Last of the Wilds by Trudi Canavan, 2) Fate of the Fallen by Ian Irvine
    Anime: 1) Bakuretsu Tenshi, 2)Shingetsutan Tsukihime
    Movies: 1) The Warrior King, 2) Ong-bak
    Games: 1) Bleach Heat the Soul 4, 2) Supreme Commander, 3) Tales of Eternia
    Music: New Maps of Hell - Bad Religion
  • It will be nice if a lot of people post as it will be a great reference when you're looking for something cool or new-to-you to check out.
  • Books: 1)Freakanomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything, 2)Naked Pictures of Famous People by Jon Stewart
    Anime: 1)Hayate no Gotoku! 2)Neon Genesis Evangelion 3)Lucky Star
    Movies: 1)Princess Bride, 2)Borat
    Games: 1)Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, 2)Pac-Man CE 3)Forza Motorsport 2
    Music: 1)Gyakuten Meets Orchestra
  • Books: The Legacy of the Drow by R.A. Salvatore.
    Anime: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    Movies: None.
    Games: Neverwinter Nights 1.
    Music: Dead Milkmen.
  • Books: Meh . . .nothing good. A few things on Metaphysics but just so I can rant about it.
    Anime: GitS and some random movies. Sadly the only place to rent Anime in my area is closing down, so I'm thinking I'm going to buy everything he has.
    Movies: Trying to get the bad taste of Fantastic Four out of my mouth . . . and SiCKO
    Games: NDS everything. Planet Puzzle League mostly.
    Music: None . . . just GeekNights.
  • Books: Everything by Kurt Vonnegut
    Anime: Blood+
    Movies: Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
    Games: Final Fantasy III DS
    Music: White Stripes - The Hardest Button to Button
  • Books: Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince (rereading) after the HP craze I want to get into Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. I hear that series is awesome.
    Anime: Kino's Journey
    Movies: besides the upcoming blockbusters coming out, Serenity with commentary
    Games: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Super Mario World, Mario Sunshine
    Music: Corinne Bailey Rae, Mononoke Hime OSTs
  • Mannnn I cannot wait to leave high school and meet people like you!

Books: Billions and Billions, Letter to a Christian Nation, The Diamond Age.
    Anime: I...don't actually watch anime. All I've ever seen has been the staples: Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, and when I was a kid, Gundam Wing/Endless Waltz
    Movies: Serenity, looking forward to Sicko, and maybe Diehard.
    Games: Killzone, Ace Combat 6, God of War 2, Hitman 2, Katamari Damacy (Yes, I only just bought a ps2 two months ago) =)
    Music: Samurai Champloo soundtrack, I just found out about this yesterday. et al.
  • MannnnI cannot wait to leave high school and meet people like you!
    Music: Samurai Champloo soundtrack, I just found out about this yesterday. et al.
    Which one? Or all of them? It's hard to say which one is my favorite, I mostly make a playlist of favorites from all of them. But yes, that OST is very awesome. ^_^
  • I actually like this song called Mist on the Masta album. Most of this music seems to be really laid back and alluding to the 1970s kung fu movies, but I haven't looked it up yet to learn what the show is even about...which I will now use wikipedia to facilitate.
  • O_O

Oh, I thought you have watched Champloo. Yes find out about it, and yes go watch it. If you like Bebop, hypothetically you should enjoy Champloo. Same creator or director.. Shinichiro Watanabe, iirc. I love how some songs can be very laid back and others with some nice beat or funk to it. One of my favorite songs is "Sincerely" and "Tsurugi no mai", among many many others.
  • Books:
    I just read (and loved) Temeraire at Emily's recommendation, and I'm currently working though The Prince of Nothing, which I'm rather enjoying (and was lent to me by Alex).  I'm also powering through an old Cisco textbook I have for work-related reasons, and filling the extra time in with all the comics I bought over the weekend.
    Anime:
    I'm finally watching Gankutsuou, and we're trying to stay on top of Bokurano as it comes out.  I enjoyed what I saw of Claymore, but I'll likely catch that on DVD.
    Movies:
    Horatio Hornblower and Paprika.  I still have to see Hot Fuzz and a few others.  I rarely if ever go to the theatre, so I mostly catch older movies on Netflix.
    Games:
    Power Grid, Gloria Mundi, Tempus, and La Citta.  Additionally, I have a powerful urge to play some Tigris and Euphrates.
    Music:
    I've been listening to a lot of music from my collection lately, partly due to having transferreed all of my files onto one central computer.  Ghost in the Shell has been my kick lately.
  • Books: A Song of Ice Fire
    TV: Doctor Who (yay for transatlantic piracy)
    Anime: I dunno... Blood+, I guess
    Movies: Children of Men (the last good movie I saw), Wristcutters: A Love Story (upcoming)
    Games: Okami, Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War: Dark Crusade
    Music: Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
  • Books: Pride and Prejudice for the 37th time.

TV: Scrubs, Kyle XY, Lost, Dirty Jobs, The Real World Reunited, Myth Busters, and CSI:SVU

Anime: Death Note, Shinigami no ballad, Full-Metal Alchemist, and Wolf's Rain.
    Movies: Not much right now. I'm looking forward to the Harry Potter movie.

Games: Risk, D&D, FFX, Monster Rancher 3. (Please don't stone me!)

Music: My humps by Atlantis Morset. Circle Circle Dot Dot by Jamie Kennedy. Gackt. Lots of him. And also My Bed by Pia. Lots of different songs....

I'm just gonna add podcasts to this list.... Because I'm into those too.

Podcasts: I just got into Fast Karate For the Gentleman and The Ninja Consultant Podcast. They have Geeknights to thank for that. I love the Best Of Youtube podcast. And The Andy And Bryan Show gives me some enjoyment but that might be because I have listened to them since they started. I feel like I really know them. And can I just say Pseudopod is frickin awesome!!!! I would suggest you listen to all these podcasts. Except maybe The Andy and Bryan Show. But they can be good at times also.
  • Bromley - I just finished Killzone myself...I got on a big PS2 kick a little while back...hey I needed something to play on my PS3.

Kiey - good call on the Princess Bride, I have to re-watch that soon.

Jason - I so have to get into Kurt Vonnegut.

Rym - Just listened to the Horatio Hornblower podcast today and I'm looking forward to checking the movies out. Is there boxset?

J.Sharp - "yay for transatlantic piracy" - I hear ya brother!

Our_Time_Is_Now - adding podcasts to the list...great idea.
  • Books: Just finished Strange Cargo by Jeffrey Barlough, which is in this really awesome series that mix up Victorian pulp style and Lovecraft sorts of horror.  Moving on to The Skeptical Environmentalist by Bjorn Lomborg and going to check out some Wodehouse and Huxley short stories because I've heard very good things.
    Movies: Currently taking a summer film class, so I'm watching a ton of classic movies - North by Northwest today, for example. also I marathoned Star Wars with my friends recently - I really think that's a worthwhile thing to do, it gets you very close to what Lucas originally intended.  Just don't start it at 4 PM like we did...
    Anime:  Sakigake! Otkojouko, an Eighties anime that's now being subbed by ADTRW.  It's the inspiration for Cromartie.  Let me say that again: It is the thing which Cromartie High School is parodying.  It's fucking AWESOME.  Also parts of it are comedic, but... basically if you like FotNS and Cromartie sorts of things check it out.
    Music:  I've been listening to a lot of Electric Light Orchestra recently, as well as some other stuff.
  • Does no one remember that I've suggested a sticky for recommendations more than once?

At any rate, my vote goes for the thread to be made sticky, no matter whose suggestion it was.

Rym - Wasn't Temeraire great? Definitely a good recommendation. Try out John Birmingham's Axis of Time trilogy
  • Right now my time is pretty limited. I picked up a 1981 Yamaha XS400 for $250, and am in the process of getting her street worthy. I have about $100 in it now, and all she needs now are tires and a starter relay. Say another $200, or so.

Other than that, Shay is taking up most of my time when I'm not at work. When I have free time at work, I am either catching up on The Dresden Files(the books), or playing Transformers: Decepticons on the DS. Once I finish this books, I'll start on the new Maximum Ride book by James Patterson.
  • Books: To Terra Vol 1-3. Mouse Guard, Watchmen...and about 4 other books I'm currently in the middle of but haven't yet finished. I jump around quite a bit.

Anime: I've been wanting to find Trigun and Cowboy Bebop but don't have the cash to lay out for either as they exist in DVD form right now. Thus I'm currently in stasis with Anime.

Movies: Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Die Hard 4.

Games: Lord of the Rings Online! It's just slightly above avg MMO's simply because I enjoy the subject material. I've was into Phoenix Wright but that's worn off as Episode/Mission 5 is frustrating me with it's insistence on finding clues and presenting them in precisely the right order without being at least a little bit obvious about it.

Music: I'm a Smashing Pumpkins fan and I'm really hoping that their new album will be good. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it no matter what since Billy Corgan IS the Smashing Pumpkins. (Although he's pretty god awful on his own.)
  • Books: "It's Not News, It's FARK" is quite enjoyable. Halfway into "The Art of Intrusion" (and "Deception") for school. As for fiction, I'm reading "Dirk Gently" by Douglas Adams, and slowly chewing on "Gravity's Rainbow." I finished "Transmetropolitan" and am starting to read "Watchmen."

Anime: Lucky Star is surprisingly good. I watched a little Gurren Lagann and have mixed thoughts on it. I still need to finish GiTS SAC 2nd Gig, and I'm going to watch the movie ORIGIN tomorrow.

Movies:I watched Battle Royale yesterday and enjoyed it. Oldboy and Lady Vengeance are good too. Oh, and waiting for Hot Fuzz to come out on DVD.

Games:Each week, a few friends and I have a lan party. Right now we're playing Soldat, UT2004, Warcraft III, Armagetron, and Dark Crusade. On my own, I'm playing Ground Control, Star Control II, and Half Life 2 Episode 1. Also, I'm waiting patiently for Portal.

Music:Mostly swing right now.

PodcastsGeeknights. I just finished all the old episodes. I also listen to TWiT, Diggnation, AWO, Fast Karate, and a slew of language podcasts (eg: japanese, chinese, russian).
  • Does no one remember that I've suggested a sticky for recommendations more than once?

At any rate, my vote goes for the thread to be made sticky, no matter whose suggestion it was.

Rym - Wasn'tTemerairegreat? Definitely a good recommendation. Try out John Birmingham'sAxis of Timetrilogy
    First off, where have you been? Second, don't you think we already have enough stickies? They already take up a significant portion of the first page.
  • edited June 2007
    As for books, I'm currently enjoying Hooked. It's a non-fiction work about a pirate ship caught poaching Chilean Sea Bass in Australian waters. An under equipped Australian ship chased the pirates half way around the globe. The book is about the chase and the history of the market for Chilean Sea Bass. It's a quick, interesting read. It reminds me of "Into Thin Air" as far as the way it reads.

I'm also a big fan of the Dr. Who novels, and found a British based bookseller that ships for free almost anywhere in the world. With shipping, their prices are slightly lower than retail here in the USA. Not bad, especially since the Dr. Who books come out a couple of months earlier in the UK.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
    First off, where have you been? Second, don't you think we already have enough stickies? They already take up a significant portion of the first page.
    I vote for too many stickies.
  • First off, where have you been?
    It's a long, sordid story. Carole had a trial in Concord, NH last week and I went along for the ride. One night we stayed in a hotel that didn't have an internet connection and didn't have wireless access. Savages! The rest of the time, Carole would go to court in the morning, I would think I had some free time coming up, and then she would get back in just a couple of hours and say, "Let's go to the mountains!". All the rest of the time she was at the hotel room, she was using the computer to look at girly stuff.

This week we're on actual holiday in Bitteford, ME. The week after next one of us is gonna go to Scotland with our sister/sister-in-law. We haven't decided who yet.

Oh yeah - recommendations: Ghost Rider was surprisingly good. It's not great or anything, but for a comic book movie, it's pretty good. Even I was disappointed by the new Fantastic Four movie. The Messengers is a prime example of a movie that you can totally get just by seeing the trailer.
    Second, don't you think we already have enough stickies? They already take up a significant portion of the first page.
    Just one more, please? I'll never ask for a sticky again.
  • I also say we have too many stickies. I think we're going to cut back.
  • Well, it was worth a try!
    Could we just set up a filter that shows everything but stickies? They're useful . . . just not every day.
    Could we just set up a filter that shows everything but stickies? They're useful . . . just not every day.
    I'm working on some stuff. Wait until con season is over.
  • Way ahead of me I see. Thanks!
  • Books:"It's Not News, It's FARK" is quite enjoyable. Halfway into "The Art of Intrusion" (and "Deception") for school. As for fiction, I'm reading "Dirk Gently" by Douglas Adams, and slowly chewing on "Gravity's Rainbow." I finished "Transmetropolitan" and am starting to read "Watchmen."

Anime:Lucky Star is surprisingly good. I watched a little Gurren Lagann and have mixed thoughts on it. I still need to finish GiTS SAC 2nd Gig, and I'm going to watch the movie ORIGIN tomorrow.

Movies:I watched Battle Royale yesterday and enjoyed it. Oldboy and Lady Vengeance are good too. Oh, and waiting for Hot Fuzz to come out on DVD.

Games:Each week, a few friends and I have a lan party. Right now we're playing Soldat, UT2004, Warcraft III, Armagetron, and Dark Crusade. On my own, I'm playing Ground Control, Star Control II, and Half Life 2 Episode 1. Also, I'm waiting patiently for Portal.

Music:Mostly swing right now.

PodcastsGeeknights. I just finished all the old episodes. I also listen to TWiT, Diggnation, AWO, Fast Karate, and a slew of language podcasts (eg: japanese, chinese, russian).
    I must say, I have tried to listen to TWiT and AWO and they just seem kinda stupid. AWO was ok, but I had been hearing so many good things about it. It really just didn't live up to all the hype for me. And TWiT..... I just really hated it. Maybe it was the episode that I listened to, but I couldn't finish it. I could at least listen to a few of AWO. Maybe if I listen to these podcasts again (Can't see that happening in the near future.) I might have some decent criticism about exactly what I didn't like. Over all, I'm just not a big fan of those two podcasts.