This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

innovations in design

edited June 2007 in Video Games
I just wanted to start a thread that may be of some interest to the video gaming crowd. As I have only now started getting into consoles, I have been exposed to many new forms of telling a story, and delivering exhilarating game play. Bear in mind...I only just bought a console in May, which is why I'm late to the table.

For starters, I guess God of War has really polished the formula of gory beat em' up games, so I won't comment further on that, because I really don't have basis to elaborate.

What I was really interested in mentioning, was Killzone. For a few reasons, I think this game brings some new dynamics to an fps, granted it is on a console, I think that it was going for a really unique 'feel', and if it was more effectively executed, it could have had some contention with Halo. (Which, agreeably is basically 007 Goldeneye for the N64). Anyways, this game does a few things, for starters, it takes the whole "you're in a warzone" idea to a new level. In PC fps, usually the camera is nice and steady, and you can easily see and navigate. Well with this game they offered a very "shaky" camera, especially with reloading and grenade lobing, but to a degree that does not nauseate the player.

I also thought the story matter to be really interesting, this game takes the distopian atmosphere of Gone with the Blast Wave and manifests the setting into a game.

Anyways, aside from copious amounts of game play bugs, terribly weak weapons, and depressingly poor gun fire sound, I think this game had something going for it. If I'm not mistaken, I think the Gears of War game may have capitalized on at least some of these elements, adding the third person chaotic camera follow to the game.

What I was really aiming for is, are there any other games out there that had some wonderful ideas, but just failed to properly capitalize on them? Are there any gems of ideas nestled away in some game that never made it? If so, what platform? What year? Are they worth a five dollar investment into the bargain bin to get a glimpse at what could have been?

Comments

• So, games with failed potential? There are a lot of them.
  • Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising

In an Age of Peace, Mankind must relearn the Art of War
    Fallen in Battle, Raised by Technology

It is an age of peace brought about by the advent of advanced nanotechnology. The old structures have fallen away to leave behind a world without want or fear. But there are some that wish to return to the old ways, a cabal of generals, politicians, and industrialists which launch an attack against the world.

You are the captain of the sole surviving warship from the Final War, the Antaeus Adaptive Cruiser 00. Crewed by a host of revenant souls, the ship rises from its long sleep on the sea floor. You must fight your way to the heart of the enemy and stop this threat to the future of Mankind.