This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070626 - Gaming Season

2»

Comments

• If I had a 360, I'd be playing it, but not hardcore like I do in "gaming season."  We've just been really hit hard by the board games lately, and we're about to be hit hard by the cons.  Videogames are on the backburner until a game comes out that demands our attention.
  • From or out of, but yeah, that guy needs to learn him some latin.
  • Speaking of the 360, the only game I've been playing [and having a constant level of fun this "season"] is Geometry Wars. Funny how I'm playing a $2.50 game from Steam more than a $30+ game.
    And for Deus Ex, I admit to pronouncing it as "Doose Ex" until I opened up the box flap; after that, forced pronounciation that made me sound like a moron (Don't worry, I can say it normally now, although it sounds like "Day'as" by the way I say it.). If it's a non-Greek or non-Latin based word, I would not have put up the effort.
  • If it's a non-Greek or non-Latin based word, I would not have put up the effort.

Why are non-Greek and non-Latin based words not deserving of being pronounced correctly?
  • It occurs to me that R&S; play on three platforms: Wii, DS & computer. So if it's not gaming season on those platforms, that's it. However, there are many other platforms available with great games out. For example, I just bought Overlord for the 360 and it's the best game I've played in ages. If R&S; had more platforms, they'd still be playing video games.
    As of late, there isn't a single second during my week where I say to myself "I really want to play a video game right now, and I have some free time. I shall play one!" The only thing that could get me to play a video game right now is if the allure of the game were so great that I could not resist it despite my desire to do other things. The only games I know of right now that could do this are Guitar Hero and DDR.
  • If it's a non-Greek or non-Latin based word, I would not have put up the effort.
    Why are non-Greek and non-Latin based words not deserving of being pronounced correctly?For some reason, I found the Japanese titles to be easier to pronounce the first time around. So technically speaking, it would take less effort for me to pronounce it. For example, Azumanga Daioh took me about a few minutes (Ah, forgien language in Latin characters!), Deus Ex was a few weeks (Ah, Latin-based lanugage in Latin characters! Crap! I pronounced it wrong!). Although the exception to the rule is The Melencholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, which took me god knows how long, because it sounded like a tounge twister.
  • A friend of mine used to pronounce it "Doos ex"

Which sounds remarkably like something else.

Which led to an interesting reaction from his parents.
  •  

If it's a non-Greek or non-Latin based word, I would not have put up the effort.
    Why are non-Greek and non-Latin based words not deserving of being pronounced correctly?For some reason, I found the Japanese titles to be easier to pronounce the first time around. So technically speaking, it would take less effort for me to pronounce it. For example,Azumanga Daiohtook me about a few minutes (Ah, forgien language in Latin characters!),Deus Exwas a few weeks (Ah, Latin-based lanugage in Latin characters! Crap! I pronounced it wrong!). Although the exception to the rule isThe Melencholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, which took me god knows how long, because it sounded like a tounge twister.

Is this because Japanese doesn't use Roman characters, but Latin does?  That is, when Japanese is romanized, all people are trying to do is represent a sound.  but Latin has its own rules of pronunciation using the same characters as us.
  •  

If it's a non-Greek or non-Latin based word, I would not have put up the effort.
    Why are non-Greek and non-Latin based words not deserving of being pronounced correctly?For some reason, I found the Japanese titles to be easier to pronounce the first time around. So technically speaking, it would take less effort for me to pronounce it. For example,Azumanga Daiohtook me about a few minutes (Ah, forgien language in Latin characters!),Deus Exwas a few weeks (Ah, Latin-based lanugage in Latin characters! Crap! I pronounced it wrong!). Although the exception to the rule isThe Melencholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, which took me god knows how long, because it sounded like a tounge twister.
    Is this because Japanese doesn't use Roman characters, but Latin does?  That is, when Japanese is romanized, all people are trying to do is represent a sound.  but Latin has its own rules of pronunciation using the same characters as us.

You just summed it up in the way that I can't, so yes.