This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Best Anime Dubs

edited June 2007 in Anime
Kiey posted in another thread about making a list of the best anime dubs. So, why not just start one?

First off, Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex both have excellent dubs, and I know many people who find the English dub equal and superior to the Japanese.

Second off, FLCL has an amazing English voice cast, and they did a fantastic job translating and localizing cultural references so that they make sense. Another thing that makes this dub special is that the Japanese director worked with the English dubbers when they were writing the script and recording in the studio. This made the English dub exactly what the original director intended.

Thirdly, pretty much any dub by Synch-Point. I haven't heard all of them, but the ones I have heard have all had a high standard of quality.

So, get some anime dubs and dubbing companies down in writing now, and perhaps later we can get a definitive of the best dubs going.

Comments

• I always thought Trigun had a good dub, as long as you haven't gotten tired of hearing Johnny Yong Bosch (he's... he's in EVERYTHING).

I also always liked the Escaflowne dub, although that may just be because I first saw it that way.

I've never seen a badly-dubbed Miyazaki movie.

I wanna toss Cromartie out there, although - similarly to Escaflowne - it may just be because the dub was my first experience of it. They just use the word "fudgin'" too much.
  • edited June 2007
    I wanna toss Cromartie out there, although - similarly to Escaflowne - it may just be because the dub was my first experience of it. They just use the word "fudgin'" too much.
    I can't say anything for the Escaflowne dub, but the Cromartie dub made me cringe. If Cromartie was the the kind of show it was dubbed as, I would say that the voice acting was pretty good. But it wasn't! If you watch the subbed version, you can immediately tell the difference in voice acting. The humor in Cromartie all comes from the fact that the characters speak so nonchalantly while doing absurd things. In the dub, the characters both spoke absurdly and acted absurdly. Seemed to kinda suck the funny out of it for me.

But this raises an excellent question: Should the test of a good dub be how well it works with the show, the voice acting quality, or the closeness to the intent of the original script?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • You're Under Arrest. That's all.
  • I would have to say that Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex are the only three anime I've seen in which the quality of english voice acting was equal or superior to the quality of the Japanese voice acting.
  • I'm not going to repeat previous mentions so: Slayers, Dragon Half.
  • Hellsing?
  • Irresponsible Captain Tylor had a decent dub as well.
  • Princess TuTu had a really good dub.
  • I think the guy who did the voice Of Yu-Gi-Oh is in one of the Pokemon show openers.

His dialogue has something to do with sending out Alakhazam but I keep expecting to hear him say, "I choose you, Dark Magician!"
  • I LOVED YU-GI-OH!!!!! It was my second obsession. The first being DBZ and DB.
  • Hellsing, Berserk, Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop.
  • I LOVED YU-GI-OH!!!!! It was my second obsession. The first being DBZ and DB.
    So really it was your third... Right?
  • So really it was your third... Right?
    If you wanna get pedantic, DBZ is nothing more than a continuation of DB, so you COULD count them as one cohesive story unit.
  • edited June 2007
    Cohesive?
    Voltes V
    That's hillarious. You can hear their Philippine accents.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • edited June 2007
    So really it was your third... Right?
    If you wanna get pedantic, DBZ is nothing more than a continuation of DB, so you COULD count them as one cohesive story unit.
    I counted the two as one. But I never got around to watching GT though.
    Post edited by Our_Time_Is_Now on
  • I'd throw in Outlaw Star as a sereis that I enjoyed the dub on.
    Sail: I agree that the dub on Cromartie makes it a different show, but I heartily enjoy watching both versions.  The more silly English track is as funny if not more than the more reserved Japanese vocals.
  • Futurama's Spanish dub is quite good, and well... Pokemon Spanish dub is as annoying as the original, and DB(z) also has a good Spanish dub, oh, and the Simpsons Spanish dub (the old one, before they changed the voice actors) was even better that the original English one

• I also always liked the Escaflowne dub, although that may just be because I first saw it that way.

I've never seen a badly-dubbed Miyazaki movie.
    I agree with you on the Miyazaki movies dubbed. But for Escaflowne, I guess I can't even try to listen to the dub. I did once, and never again. But I can understand where you're coming from because that's kinda how I am with Utena.

But as many others have said Bebop, Trigun and Samurai Champloo. I also really enjoyed Samurai 7 dub.
  • I think the Kenshin dub was very well done.
  • I loved the Kenshin dub!
  • I really loved the Samurai 7 dub, too, and thought that Full Metal Alchemist and Bleach were pretty good.
  • I will agree with the FMA dub being good. The Bleach dub is alright, my main issue is their inability to pronounce names correctly, and some of the voices.
  • Shinesmen. Shinesmen, forever.

Also, Hellsing was pretty fantastic.
  • Gasaraki was pretty good. The exception being one minor character, who appears for less than a minute in one episode and has the worst voice actor ever.