This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Torrentspy and ISOhunt to start filtering

edited June 2007 in Technology
So what do people think about the news that Torrentspy and ISOhunt are going to filter out copyrighted material using hash values?

Here are my thoughts:
1) Hash values are easily manipulated, so we'll see how effective this is.
2) It's a giant game of whack-a-mole. For every site that goes down, another will pop up.
3) When are the studios going to get it? I have no problem paying for content.... as long as it's at a reasonable price! As a matter of fact, I'd love to do everything through one source such as ITunes. However... for the 4 or so TV shows I watch regularly, it would be $8 per week do buy those shows on ITunes. That's nearly as expensive as basic cable TV, for just four shows! Don't they see that they are WAAAAAY overcharging? I'd love to ditch my cable TV, but not at those prices!
4) Right now the only things I download are not copyrighted, so I doubt this will affect me that much. Between Netflix and my DVR, I've got copyrighted material covered without having to use bittorrent.
5) If anything, bittorrent shows us that people want to download content. Come up with a price point that makes the hassle of going through bittorrent not worth it. I don't even care if you include ads. The money is there for the taking - but why do the studios insist on using a 1985 business model?

Comments

• This just means that Torrentspy and ISOhunt will lose all their visitors. Piratebay is still there.
  • Yeah, that and those damn elitist little enclaves like...Demonoid...which I'm a part of, w00t!.

However, in all seriousness, I really do hope your predictions stand true there Kilarney, because if prices were reasonable on media, if there wasn't this stigma of all DVDs must be twenty dollars, then I would totally splurge and buy everything. Actually, to correct myself, single movies are twenty dollars, if season box sets of television shows were fifteen or twenty dollars, then I would certainly buy a collection of all my favorites.

I think what has happened here is that the industry of movies, television, and music for that, really embraces this idea that they're still exclusive, i.e. you cannot get our stuff anywhere else. That may have worked in the mid-twentieth century, but today data can be copied effortlessly. The unfortunate thing is, the market really on a whole hasn't really cared too much, as many people I know still own hundreds of DVDs. Its probably going to take a little more than a percentage of society that the RIAA labels as anarchists to demand a paradigm shift of these archaic business models. However, things like TiVo, and certainly Netflix are a start.
  • I blame Sony for getting into the movie business. They think we will pay big bucks for anime just like in Japan.
  • I blame Sony for getting into the movie business. They think we will pay big bucks for anime just like in Japan.
    That's Bandai Visual, not Sony. What Sony has done with anime in the US actually hasn't been that bad.
  • edited June 2007
    Yeah, that and those damn elitist little enclaves like...Demonoid...which I'm a part of, w00t!.
    I'm a member of Demonoid. To be honest, though, I don't really see what makes it any safer from the MPAA and RIAA than Torrentspy?
    Post edited by Kilarney on
    That's Bandai Visual, not Sony. What Sony has done with anime in the US actually hasn't been that bad.
    How dare you let facts get in the way of a good internet rumor?
  • Well the more sites they shut down the bigger the pirate bay gets. Eventually it will hold enough power in its own country so that no-one from the outside or even the inside can topple it.
  • A United States judge ruled that Canadian website ISOHunt is unlawful. This is interesting because it is merely a search engine (AFAIK), and does not serve as a tracker.
  • Seems like there's more of a case for facilitating criminal activity here. It's not like a general internet search engine where the lawful use outweighs the illegal use. Torrent search engines are primarily used for obtaining illegal copies of media. Sure, media can be legally distributed through torrents, but that's not what people primarily use them for.

It's like the difference between someone asking you to help them buy fertilizer and someone asking you to help them buy fertilizer and gasoline. Sure, they MIGHT be a farmer needing gas for their tractor...but wouldn't that guy probably already know where to get his stuff and have the means to do so? I'd bet most people using legal torrents aren't using the search engines to find the torrents; they get links from the websites of the content producers or from forums attached to those websites.