This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• edited June 2007
    That is a fantastic move on Nintendo's part. Not only are they creating an X-Box Live type service, but opening the console up to the more indie crowd. Maybe it's time for Scrym to try again for a dev kit!

[Edit] John C Dvorak approves.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes out of this. I would actually really like to make a game for this, if I had any ability to actually make a game. I could probably design, but thats about it right now.
  • I just need programmers, musicians, and etc.
  • I only hope we don't see a large amount of flash-styled garbage games.

I also wonder how long it will take someone to figure out a way to distribute these games without Nintendo and still have the Wii recognize them and show them in the channel lineup.

• I also wonder how long it will take someone to figure out a way to distribute these games without Nintendo and still have the Wii recognize them and show them in the channel lineup.
    I don't think this new thing is going to make it any easier for people to accomplish this feat. If it were possible, we'd already be using our own ROMs on the VC.
  • It won't happen...but wouldn't it be great if developers could create their own sequels or additions to old NES and SNES games with Nintendo's blessing. I would love to see someone make a new "Adventures of Link" Chapter with the same gameplay and new story. Or wouldn't it be great to see a new Simon's Quest Chapter.
  • If only we could easily make WAD files for Zelda and Metroid!
  • While I know Nintendo won't let it happen, I could envision a marketplace there where, for a small fee, people could purchase channels that allowed them to create levels for popular classic games such as Mario 3.  When complete, they could then offer these levels through some sort of sharing channel to other Wii users.  Nintendo could "sell" these downloads for points, giving the creator credit and a share of the points for their own use.
    The net result?  More people purchasing points, more virtual console sales, and a reason to use Nintendo's solution instead of the already free and existing emulators.  Even without the marketplace portion, Wii-shared and Wii-exclusive extensions to old games would make MONEY.
  • Has anyone ever played that remix of Zelda? The one where the sword is in an area to the left of your starting spot but you have to go up and around to get to it? Something like that would sell awesomely on the VC.
  • Has anyone ever played that remix of Zelda? The one where the sword is in an area to the left of your starting spot but you have to go up and around to get to it? Something like that would sell awesomely on the VC.
    Are you sure you're not thinking of the first Zelda game's Second Quest?
  • Not the second quest. This was done by someone else and released on the net.