This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Some help for zombie posters

edited June 2007 in Everything Else
I'm currently working on some zombie themed posters, and wanted to ask, what are the most cliched stuff to put on them, so I thought I'd ask you guys knowing that probably most of you do like B-rated zombie and sci-fi movies.

So the posters have a retro look to them, and I want to plague them with as many cliches as I can.

so far I have:

-Tombstones wit a cross on top and Rip chiseled into them
-Big full moon with bats on it
-House on haunted hill
-Closeup of girl screaming
-Black cats arching their backs
-Oozing text across the poster

The thing is due saturday, so after that, you are more than welcome to delete the post, and sorry if this goes against forum policy

BTW the posters are black and white, so no ideas for color please

Comments

• Shotguns. Lots of shotguns.
  • Why would you want to make your art cliche?
  • Idk.... Brains?
  • Have a look at some of Rob Zombie's artwork (I think his brother actually does the drawing).

Also you'll want to take a look at some old Lucio Fulci posters and a lot of George Romero Night of the living dead and Dawn of the Dead stuff.

If you want to see the ultimate badass retro (circa 1985) zombie poster...check out the poster for Return of the Living Dead...it's the one with the tombstone and zombie punks.

Now if you're talking super-retro...take a look at some old Bela Lugosi "White Zombie" posters.
  • David Hartman does a lot of work for Rob Zombie, I'm using him as a reference

As for why the cliches, because the poster is not to be taken seriously, and it'll make it funnier, plus cliches help people identify with the idea faster.
  • edited June 2007
    If you want funny the "Return of the Living Dead" poster is for you.

I think Rob's brother Spider does some of this art too...but I'm not 100% sure about that. Spider is in the band Powerman 5000.
    Post edited by zombie a gogo on
  • lol, punk zombies...
  • Pick up a copy of the game Zombies! and check out their card art.
  • Well, I had to rush the thing, as I also have to design the cartoon zombies and the armada, the general idea is the poster as a regular movie ad, but also near the posters will be the armada fighting the hordes of the undead.

"They came from beyond!"
    "they are closer than you think"

As you can see, I couldn't add the cheesy stuff that I wanted

Thanks for the help, if you want I can post some pictures after the poster run tonight at 3am.
  • I think it would sound beter if you write "mas cerca de lo que pensabas" or "pensaban"