This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070628 - Sports, Steroids, and Spectators

2»

Comments

• Rym, I don't mean any offense by this statement but you came off really arrogant in this episode.
  • Rym, I don't mean any offense by this statement but you came off really arrogant in this episode.
    In which part?  What was I arrogant about? ^_~
    In which part?  What was I arrogant about? ^_~

Yeah he wasn't arrogant in this one, he was his ussual self (which is not arrogant I hope :P)
  • edited June 2007
    Thank god that this congress was not in power back in the late 1930’s to the earlier 1940’s. FDR would have been in big trouble.
    Post edited by N15PCA on
  • edited June 2007
    If I remember well the congress back then was opposed to many ideas that FDR had. But I would never compare FDR with Bush, that is just plain crazy.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited June 2007
    FDR put Japanese-Americans in Prison Camps for no good reason. What Bush has done doesn't even come close to that.
    Post edited by N15PCA on
  • You're paying to give them money!
    Ummm...Am I the only one confused by that statement?
  • edited July 2007
    You're paying to give them money!
    Ummm...Am I the only one confused by that statement?
    No, but perhaps it's context. When did he say it? I don't remember it.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • So, does Vampire Tag count as a sport by either Rym or Scott's standards? I mean, I juiced up for the last game I played back in '05 and everything, so it better count.
  • So, does Vampire Tag count as a sport by either Rym or Scott's standards? I mean, I juiced up for the last game I played back in '05 and everything, so it better count.
    Is it a competition in which athletic ability in some way determines victory?
  • Is it a competition in which athletic ability in some way determines victory?
    For the most part, yes. So I suppose it is, then.
  • I have only listened to the first 20 minutes (or so) of the show but I now understand why Scott is always so wrong.

Romans learned their tactics from the knights of the middle ages? I have no response to that... Teachers not wanting to teach the dates and time line of history in a history class?
  • Teachers not wanting to teach the dates and time line of history in a history class?
    There was a thing in our school system where they did not want to test memorization. I guess the feeling of the school board was that memorizing names, dates and facts was not useful learning. They wanted to encourage critical thinking skills, logic skills, creative writing, etc. Thus, throughout my entire pre-college career I was never once tested on memorization. You would never ever see a question like "In what year did the battle of X take place?" You would instead see questions like "Do you think Andrew Jackson was right to say John Marshall has made his decision, now let him enforce it! ?" You would then have to write a paragraph or a short essay answer. If there were questions about facts, they were always true/false or multiple choice. You would never have a blank space to fill in with a date, name or place. If those questions were just blanks instead of having choices, I would have performed very poorly.

In addition to that, every history and social studies class was broken up into different units. We would learn about one thing at a time. So we'd be learning about the middle ages, then after the test was over we would start learning about WW1, then we'd learn about WW2, etc.. There were no connections between the different units. I don't know if it is the only thing to blame, but to this day I have a hard time grasping the chronology of the older periods of human civilization. I honestly can't tell you if the Ming Dynasty was before the times of Alexander the Great, or if it was after the times of Ceasar, without looking it up. I learned pretty much everything I know about that from Civilization 2. This was not the greatest teacher as I was often building coliseums as musket men roamed the land.

I don't want to sound like I'm blaming some of my ignorance on the public school system I happened to attend. I'm only doing that a little bit. Mostly it's just that I put most of my thoughts towards geeky endeavors, and I never really liked studying history that much. I do find it enjoyable to hear about history. I also believe it is very important to learn lessons from history, but I really have no effort into seriously absorbing it into my brain.
  • Are you planning to sue your former school system over this?
  • Are you planning to sue your former school system over this?He would if he could remember the years that he attended.
    He would if he could remember the years that he attended.
    It was right after WWI and right before the Middle Ages.
    He would if he could remember the years that he attended.
    It was right after WWI and right before the Middle Ages.
    Oh pwn.
  • So tonight I'm reading how Bush commuted Scooter Libby's sentence and I immediately thought to myself, "Scott was right."