This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The BBFC actualy works

edited July 2007 in Video Games
In the recent controversy over the Manhunt 2 being refused a rating in Albion I was listening to "World 1 - Stage 1: Retro gaming podcast" and they have done a good explanation of why MH2 was given a slightly higher rating which just pushed it over into un-certifiable.
As they explain it much better than I can I suggest listening to Show 5 from 31:30 onwards. Here are a few of the points they raise:

Manhunt 1 was the utmost limit of what was acceptable when the game was certificated; the jump required to shift Manhunt 2 to un-certifiable was very small.
In MH1 you were being forced against your will to kill people whereas in MH2 you do so voluntarily.
The Wii controller makes the experience much more visceral.

And about the BBFC:
Unlike the ESRB it is legally enforceable. Anyone caught selling to someone of inappropriate age will receive a 5 figure fine (min £10,000 or $20,000) and that is the actual person who does the transaction.
The BBFC use a check list (which I have an old copy of) which is simple and cannot be influenced by public opinion.

I hope this clears things up. Its not that the Abianic system of certification is conservative but that it actually works.

Comments

• I think the issue is not whether or not the system "works", its whether or not what the system is doing is right.