This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Artist Alley Noob needs advice

edited July 2007 in Everything Else
I am curious about the details of Scott's Pirate book. I mentioned it to my son and he said, "I want one of those for monkeys." So, I was thinking about starting one for him.

When you are at an Artist Alley type thing, do you just ask the artists to draw a pirate instead of what they normally draw for fans? Do you pay them a few bucks to do so?

My only convention experience is Comic-Con and I have never done the Artist Alley stuff. I am unsure about how this stuff works.

Any tips? What kind of book do you have it in?

thanks,
salamon

Comments

• I'll go in reverse. The book I bought is a spiral-bound sketchbook. I had to get it at the art store. It is hard-cover and contains what I assume is nice artsy paper. This is good for me because the book is durable enough to take a slight beating, and it's good for artists since they can draw without having to hold the book open.

As for getting sketches it is very easy. You go up to an artist and ask nicely. Many artists are willing to do free sketches, but the quality of sketch they are willing to do for free varies greatly. Some will just draw a free doodle, others might be willing to give you something really fancy. If you look at an artist's work on their table, and you feel that you like it enough, they will almost definitely be willing to do a higher quality sketch for a price. Depending on the artist and the con this might run you anywhere from $1 to $500. People usually put up a sign with their comission prices on it. If they don't have a sign, just ask. Depending on the artist and the quality of the sketch they are going to do, the sketch could take awhile. In this case, you might have to give them the book and your cell #. Don't worry, they will take care of your book and call you when it is time to pick it up.

The only problem with the book is that if there are multiple artists at a con you want to get sketches from, only one can have the book at a time. Some people I know get around this by using a three ring binder and having artists sketch on nice paper with holes in it.
  • My advice as an official art-type is to go with sketchbooks that have a spine, or else be real careful with them. Ring-bound sketchbooks have failed me in my college days because I treated 'em pretty rough. I have more than one ex-spiral that is now duct-taped together in my basement. Also, get to the Alley early and start asking people for sketches. Check back during events that are big but that you don't want to go to, since many artists will be less-busy then.