This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rock Band ftw?

edited July 2007 in Video Games
It seems a video of Rock Band has finally surfaced, and it looks awesome. I think Guitar Hero might be a dead series because of this game. Red Octane was definitely the wrong company to buy.

O9b-8LYLGq8

Comments

• I think I just jizzed my shorts...
  • Well, there goes a couple days worth of my life.
  • Well, time to get a bigger living room.
  • edited July 2007
    I'm gonna need to buy a sound system just to enjoy this game to the fullest extent.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Now, if only I had the hundreds of dollars necessary to purchase all the instruments.
  • Now, if only I had the hundreds of dollars necessary to purchase all the instruments.
    What? It's $200 for the whole set. You're gonna be playing with four people, so each pays $50. Simple.
    What? It's $200 for the whole set. You're gonna be playing with four people, so each pays $50. Simple.
    The drum set is only 50 bucks? If so, awesome!
  • Plus you can use the Guitar Hero guitars, so that possibly saves you some money.
  • I wish I could get into these types of games. People seem to have such a great time with them, but I just don't see the appeal. Sucks to be me.
  • This game will totally suck without the following instruments:

Kazoo

Accordion

Bagpipes

Triangle

Cowbell

Viola

Piccolo

Celtic Harp

Dulcimer

Pan Flute

Japanese Taiko Drums

Didjeridu
  • Do you think its only going to be available with all four instruments or one set with all four and one game and one with one instrument and/or one copy of the game?
  • I might just have to buy this. And then I would have to buy a system to take with me when I move out.
  • My wishlist for the game is:
    1. Don't Fear the Reaper
    2. That the mic can be used to simulate cowbell.
  • Do you think its only going to be available with all four instruments or one set with all four and one game and one with one instrument and/or one copy of the game?
    I think the plan is one set where you get all the instruments and the game, and then others where you get one instrument and the game. So both.
  • My wishlist for the game is:
    1. Don't Fear the Reaper
    2. That the mic can be used to simulate cowbell.
    We need a Thursday episode on the absolute best SNL skits ever. I nominate this one, (more) Celebrity Jeopardy, Chris Farley's "down by the river" tirade, the Church Lady, the Butabi (sic) Brothers, Jim Carrey as a lifeguard, Opera Man sings Weekend Update, the Oops I Crapped My Pants commercial, Ace and Gary, Wayne's World with Aerosmith, Schwetty Balls, Jingleheimer Junction, Bob Dole on The Real World, the Ladies' Man, and the cheerleaders.
  • edited July 2007
    Plus you can use the Guitar Hero guitars, so that possibly saves you some money.
    Only, mind you, if you are buying the 360 version. If you have a Wii or PS3, you don't already have the guitars.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Is the mic considered an instrument?
  • edited July 2007
    Is the mic considered an instrument?
    Yep. One would assume.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • So... It has a series of colored buttons on it or something?
  • So... It has a series of colored buttons on it or something?
    Watch the video more closely. It goes by the pitch and timing of the singing.
  • $200 isn't bad, but by the time it comes to the UK it'll be far too expensive. The usual practice is $1 = £1, so therefore it'll be the equivalent of $400. Grrrr.. stupid UK.
  • Watch the video more closely? It's a pixelated youtube video with horrible sound quality! I almost missed the fact the drums have a colored ring around them.
  • i read a write up about the game. The mic is an actual usb mic, and the software uses word recognition, as well as pitch and rythm to score the mic. The guys doing the preview said that theyy tried it and it works surprisingly well, almost flawlessly.
  • The microphone works the same was as it does in Karaoke Revolution.
  • I think it uses an improved version of the Singstar game engine, or so I've heard.

And the usual practice is that $1 = £2, or at least thats what the conversion rate says now.
  • This game is the only way I will get my wife to let me buy a next-gen system. Thank you Rock Band . . . thank you.
  • Some of the songs that will ship on Rock Band™ disc include:

The Who: Won't Get Fooled Again (master)
    Mountain: Mississippi Queen (cover)
    David Bowie: Suffragette City (master)
    Black Sabbath: Paranoid (cover)
    Blue Oyster Cult: Don't Fear the Reaper (master)
    Nirvana: In Bloom (master)
    The Hives: Main Offender (master)
    Weezer: Say It Ain't So (master)
    Microphone
    Let's players belt out the lyrics to some of the most recognizable rock anthems of all time!
    • Hand held microphone with authentic styling and weight
    • Rates singers in real-time, using pitch, rhythm and phoneme detection
    • Percussion breaks - tap the mic against your hand to play the tambourine and cowbell notes
    Outstanding. If they include a cardboard standee of Christopher Walken in the package, I'm buying it on the day of release.
  • edited July 2007
    So, is this thing going to ship with everything for $200?

Will it be out for the Wii?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Officially only on PS3 and XBOX 360 but according to IGN: "Harmonix CEO Alex Rigopulos, when asked if there was a possibility of seeing the game on Wii, responded 'Absolutely.'"
  • The video got taken down. =\