This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

DS online play

edited July 2007 in Video Games
I just got Mario Kart and wanted to try some online play. (Which is fairly masochistic since my 15 year old nephew just pwned me via wireless play.)

I just assumed that the DS would see my wireless router and off I would go. Not so...
I've got a Toshiba WRC-1000 wireless router at home. Before I pour through the manuals from Nintendo for connecting online, can anyone tell me if my router is not supported at all?

The other possibility is that I was too far away from the router. Unfortunately I'm not at home right now to verify that.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited July 2007
    Nintendo doesn't list Toshiba specifically as a supported router on its DS support site, located here.

Does the DS at least see the network when you do a WFC search?

Really, anything 802.11b should work, in theory.
    Post edited by Jason on

• Really, anything 802.11b should work, in theory.
    Yes, any 802.11b network that is wide open or encrypted with WEP should work. If it is encrypted with WPA, it won't work with the DS. Also, make sure the router has DHCP configured or that your DS has a proper static IP configuration.
  • My router was put off as not supported by Nintendo. But once I installed the new firmware on my router it worked perfectly. So try and update your router, if there are any updates, and hope it works.
  • I'm starting to think that the range for the DS may have been the factor. I was in the farthest part of the house from the router. I'll try it over lunch and see how it goes. My network is wide open, so shouldn't be any problems there. (I live in a rural area, so only the chipmunks can share the network.)
  • edited July 2007
    Sure enough... it was the range, which is pretty poor. It connected fine if I stayed in the same room as the router.

The only problem was that I was never able to connect with other players (error code 85020), so I'll have to look that up. It looks like that is a firewall issue, which is weird since I didn't think my router had a built in firewall - but I'm not too savvy when it comes to this stuff. I do know that my computer has the standard XP firewall, and it was on at the time. I can't imagine that was the problem, though.

Hopefully I won't have to get into static IP's and port forwarding, since that's a pain.

And can I just say... I totally suck at power sliding.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I haven't played online with my DS yet. However, the firewall issue might be that you'll need to forward a port to your DS's IP address in the router. As a router may not have an actual software firewall, all routers are technically hardware firewalls because the router itself takes the external IP address and is a firewall between your computers and the internet (not so much for outgoing but more for incoming). So for instance, if someone is trying to connect to you, it sends your internet IP address information through a certain port number. Once it hits the router, the router is like... what do I do with this info? You may have to go into the settings and tell it to forward certain ports to the DS. This is all just speculation since I haven't done it, but this port forwarding is required for a lot of other internet gaming when you're hosting a game and such.
  • edited July 2007
    The only problem I had was setting my routers TX Rates to 54mbs. It was variable before (power saving maybe?). As soon as I did that everything worked fine . . . except posting here.

For some reason I can't log on to FRC Forums from my DS browser. :)
    Post edited by cosmicenema on