This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

We're so outnumbered...

edited July 2007 in Flamewars

*Sigh*

Comments

• I like how it's only one part of Alaska . . . XD
  • I hold that a lot of people are religious only in name. For example, I am technically Roman Catholic, but I learn more toward agnostic and even have my atheist moments. Besides, not every one uses religon as their guiding light in everything, so I don't think you have to worry nearly so much
  • Looks like the North West is the place to be for those infidel Atheist. :p
  • Looks like the North West is the place to be for those infidel Atheist. :p
    Woohoo! I'm an infidel! What do I win?

Actually, I was born and raised Catholic, however, I choose to be agnostic. Just don't tell my parents that. >.> ^^;;
  • Damn Utah . . . throwing all that dark red into the West.
  • hmmm.. I don't know. Something about this survey seems wrong when New York and PA are more religious then South Carolina, West Virginia. I wonder if it's because whatever religious body that is found in that area (maybe a more individualistic version of Christianity) was not reported there. hmmmm.
  • Interesting, though it's kinda weird how the core of the US is the most religious, rather then just the south. Honestly though it seems a little heavy handed by just having the four groupings rather then just having it scale.

Oh well, my home is firmly in the grey.
  • hmmm.. I don't know. Something about this survey seems wrong when New York and PA are more religious then South Carolina, West Virginia. I wonder if it's because whatever religious body that is found in that area (maybe a more individualistic version of Christianity) was not reported there. hmmmm.
    I would think that coastal areas would be more open to immigration, which in turn increase the number of non-Christian religious people living there.
  • I would think that coastal areas would be more open to immigration, which in turn increase the number of non-Christian religious people living there.
    Remember, many of the immigrants, especially illegal ones, come from Mexico and parts South. Latin Americans are predominantly Catholic.
  • I'm just saying that blue states might not be Christian-heavy, but they tend to embrace and foster Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and other religions that are not prevalent in middle America.
  • OK. I swear I posted something in this thread . . . did I get modded or was it a user error?

I'm not going to re-post the whole thing because I wrote a lot. :( Basically I said that this study based on membership to religious organizations conducted by a group called Statisticians of American Religious Bodies hardly seems like good statistics.
  • More than likely an error, we don't delete/mod out posts.
  • Way to go Mecklenburg county, N.C! I have a sneaking suspicion that the 35.1-50% of affiliates are people at my school. Man oh man is it bad to joke about Jesus and mention(borrowing from Churba, thats right, I think of you often man, though I could have sworn WOP said it first.) the giant wooden plus signs. Especially in Latin class, my comments fly like bricks.
  • Here in Massachusetts we tend to be both pretty religious and pretty liberal. I'm not religious myself, by my friends who are are all quite cool.
  • Sweet! My area of Florida is in the 35.1 - 50 range. Surprising, seeing as there's a Lutheran church on nearly every corner of my city...
  • Blue state/Red state is a myth perpetuated by news crews that want to make news.
  • I wonder what would happen if you were to overlay this with the average of the populace in relation to the national intelligence quota.

Anyway, as people become more intelligent the reliance of faith as a means of control will become less effective but there's probably a downside of wide spread Atheism.
  • Anyway, as people become more intelligent the reliance of faith as a means of control will become less effective but there's probably a downside of wide spread Atheism.
    Yeah. Rebellious teenagers won't be able to look "cool" by calling themselves atheists.
  • Yeah. Rebellious teenagers won't be able to look "cool" by calling themselves atheists.
    I don't understand this statement. Maybe it's just me, but I have never known anyone who was atheist just to look cool...
  • I'm surprised that my home state of Maryland isn't terribly religious. A friend of mine was told that he was going to hell by another student at my school because he wasn't outside at the flagpole after the VT shooting praying. (I go to a public school, so that statement is quite frightening.)
  • People think that choosing to be atheist is cool? How does anyone think that is cool? Unless your a geek, of course. I became atheist because of views, not to look cool.
  • I am a Lutheran, and I firmly believe in God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, the whole nine yards. That does not make me an idiot, nor does it make me a zealot, nor does it make me a hater of anyone that doesn't believe the same way I do. As a Lutheran, the part that disturbs me are the branches of Christianity that are represented on DirecTV so often. Channels like GOD TV are about as scary as anything I have ever seen. The most disturbing part is the militancy that is portrayed in their presentation and, frankly, their message.

Any religion that adopts the attitude that you are an infidel or something less than they are is entering a very dark place. Religions of any type that cross this line into fundamentalism tend to exhibit these fascist traits.

To me, being religious or not religious is not the question. The bigger question is how you interact with others. In my faith, first and foremost it's about doing unto others as you would have done onto you. Many religions take this as a jumping off point. The issues arise when the followers extend this to become "Believe what we believe or you are damned."
  • RymRym
    edited July 2007

there's probably a downside of wide spread Atheism.
    I'm sure the homeopathy industry would get hit pretty hard.  Don't forget all of the New Age Wicca writers and stores!
    Oh, you said downside...
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Blue state/Red state is a myth perpetuated by news crews
    Yeap.  The divide is actually urban/rural.
  • I am a Lutheran. . .
    In my experience, Lutherans are pretty low on the scale of religious intolerance/evangelism/dominionism/political activisim than the Southern Baptist types I usually dislike.

Then there's Catholicism . . . I was pretty happy with Catholicism until the Pope said yesterday that all other churches are defective.
  •  

there's probably a downside of wide spread Atheism.

I'm sure the homeopathy industry would get hit pretty hard.  Don't forget all of the New Age Wicca writers and stores!

Oh, you saiddownside...

Who were you trying to quote? Because I never said that in this thread.
  • Who were you trying to quote? Because I never said that in this thread.
    Whoa, obviously not you.  Something screwy must have happened.
  • I am a Lutheran. . .
    In my experience, Lutherans are pretty low on the scale of religious intolerance/evangelism/dominionism/political activisim than the Southern Baptist types I usually dislike.

Then there's Catholicism . . . I was pretty happy with Catholicism until the Pope said yesterday that all other churches aredefective.
    I am actually a convert from Catholicism to Lutheranism. I converted due to all the idolatry and history of corruption and hypocrisy I saw in the Roman Catholic Church. I am trying very hard to keep from bashing specific brands of anything here, but any sect that considers another defective is more or less pulling a Nazi style move...

That didn't take long to get to Godwin did it?
  • I am a Lutheran. . .

Then there's Catholicism . . . I was pretty happy with Catholicism until the Pope said yesterday that all other churches aredefective.
    I am actually a convert from Catholicism to Lutheranism. I converted due to all the idolatry and history of corruption and hypocrisy I saw in the Roman Catholic Church. I am trying very hard to keep from bashing specific brands of anything here, but any sect that considers another defective is more or less pulling a Nazi style move...

That didn't take long to get to Godwin did it?
    Ok..I just read the article that HungryJoe referenced. My only take...Benedict is a putz.